Using Aquarium Tanks For Displaying Fossils

Melissawow

I got a question that I'll like to seek some opinions.

I'm a fossil collector and my method of storing and displaying my fossils is to use stack-able aquarium tanks to reconstruct the concept of a display cabinet. So far I had this up for about 1.5 years already and so far it is stable.

However, I'll like to seek everyone's opinions on my method for displaying and will like to have some advises and tips, if this method is safe enough for the long term.

Thank you.

post-14852-0-90027900-1408366831_thumb.jpg

Looks like a very ingenious way to use the aquaiums...very cool. I can see your potential concerns though.. does the structure feel stable if you were to bump the desk it is on? That would be my main concern, that one day something happens and then all those awesome fossils come crashing down. Also, it's probably very diffucult to update or change the displays in those bottom tanks. The other aspect that could be slightly improved with be the lighting. If there was a way to use small LED lights or something similar to really illuminate each level that could really add a dimension to the display. Some other ideas would be to invest in a lit curio style display case at some point. One of the members on here AJPlai has some he recently shared on the gallery from IKEA that he added some extra lighting to. See link below.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/34577-fossils-cabinets/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/34596-assorted-fossils-collection-01/

I could have sworn he also posted a photo of the before and after of these IKEA display with respect to the LED lights he added to them, but I can't seem to find them now. Some furniture stores also cary lit curio cabinets. No matter what you decide, very nice collection!

Perhaps stacking them with the top face on it's front side would provide better access to the fossils inside. Also making some sort of frame might also give it more stability. Other than that I like the idea.

"...an inordinate fondness of beetles." - J B S Haldane

I like your display, but aren't the tanks expensive? That is, wouldn't a conventional curio be cheaper or are you acquiring cast-offs?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I got a question that I'll like to seek some opinions.

I'm a fossil collector and my method of storing and displaying my fossils is to use stack-able aquarium tanks to reconstruct the concept of a display cabinet. So far I had this up for about 1.5 years already and so far it is stable.

However, I'll like to seek everyone's opinions on my method for displaying and will like to have some advises and tips, if this method is safe enough for the long term.

Thank you.

Nice collection with a really neat idea to make good use of aquarium tanks, I like it! Although once your collection keep growing, re-arranging the specimens in there could be quite a hassle I imagine. As Megatooth Collector have mentioned in his post, I have had quite a good success with the cheap IKEA Detolf cabinets with some minor modifications and add-ons that are quite simple and affordable. You can see the results of what I have done here, and hope its useful:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/48877-ikea-cabinets-for-fossils-collection-and-how-i-tinkered-it/

Nice collection with a really neat idea to make good use of aquarium tanks, I like it! Although once your collection keep growing, re-arranging the specimens in there could be quite a hassle I imagine. As Megatooth Collector have mentioned in his post, I have had quite a good success with the cheap IKEA Detolf cabinets with some minor modifications and add-ons that are quite simple and affordable. You can see the results of what I have done here, and hope its useful:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/48877-ikea-cabinets-for-fossils-collection-and-how-i-tinkered-it/

Thanks AJ! I knew I had just seen your post of these cabinets not that long ago but couldn't find this particular posting about the "tinkered" aspect. :)

Archived