Edaphosaur And Secodontosaurus

dinodigger

I'm whipped... that sun is kinda warm. I think I smelled hair burning yesterday. I think I've discovered a new way to get your hair cut. Just go digging for bones when its 1,329 degrees outside. It's free!

On another note, I found some good stuff yesterday while doing a whirlwind afternoon checkup on three dig sites at three ranches. The last rain washed out a few pretty bones. The first, we've been digging into a hill with a conglomerate shelf overlying a red-clay floodplain deposit in which a good size Diadectes is appearing. Found half of a Dia humerus. The other half is there somewhere, the break on the shaft is too crisp. Diadectes is SOOOO COOOOL! We call him the Permian tank, a huuuge reptile with massive limbs. Slow moving plant eater. The cool thing is he could hear!!! He had a well developed Stapes bone. He was obviously communicating. Cool. Funny thing, that even though Dimetrodon was considered highly advanced, he was completely deaf!!! Couldn't hear a thing. Reptiles wouldn't get hearing until the Triassic.

Another pic shows something UBER COOL. An Eryops Cleithrum. A whatwhat??! Fish today have a cleithrum that runs up their side, connects to the skull. Showed up in the early fish, disappeared in reptiles. in amphibs it connected to the scapula and clavicle. This is the first Eryops cleithrum I've ever collected.

Ran out to the George site as well. George is a verrrrry nice Dimetrodon skeleton I stumbled on a few months ago. Complete spinal column, neck, ribs and most of the fin spines. Nice femur and pelvis. Still missing some limbs and tail but still lots of hill to dig. Did find a great tooth though. Anterior maxillary post canine. Great curvature, really different than the teeth of the loomisi and grandis species we are used to. Another pic shows a pre-maxillary fang I picked up from another ranch earlier in the day. Shows the difference.

I think I threw in a shot of George's sacral as well. Been prepping that jacket for a few hours each night. Perfect shape with the sacral ribs attached. WOW.

Finally there's a shot of a Secodontosaurus femur. What a cool guy too. He's the fox-faced finback; a pelycosaur that is very rare in the redbeds. Looks like Ddon but has a long skinny snout, and short stocky legs. The femur in the pic shows the short, stockiness. Shaft in ddon is longer and skinnier. Also notice the proximal end has been gnawed a little. Poor little guy...

Anyhoo, I'm a bit crosseyed from prep tonight. Hitting the sack. If anyone is in the area (Seymour, Texas) feel free to stop by the museum and check out George. I'll give ya the tour.

Best,

Chris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157646235758918/

Edited by dinodigger

Chris,

Thanks for the updates.

Seems that you keep finding cool stuff.

I appreciate being able to read about them here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Chris,

Thanks for the updates.

Seems that you keep finding cool stuff.

I appreciate being able to read about them here.

Regards,

Agreed!

Whew! I am breathless just from reading your accounts!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the news! I love to read your enthusiastic updates. I'm definitely going to have to make it a point to visit your museum.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG