Ichthyornis Discovery! Images Redacted, Pending Publication

KansasFossilHunter

Now that I'm going to college at FHSU, I'm only about an hour away from the fossil beds (used to be 3). This last weekend I invited some of the other paleontology students to join me on a trip out to the field. After about 2 hours in the chalk I came across the small bones of what looked like a scrappy fish. However I noticed a raised edge along the side of one of the bones that told be it used to be hollow. That's when I got pretty excited at the idea that it could be a bird.

After an hour of digging in the August sun, I was able to free a medium sized slab or rock containing the bones. Since I'm living on campus I began to prep the fossil in my dorm room. That's when things got really exciting! I began to uncover diagnostic material like coracoids, the 1st phalnyx, and finally a jaw! Around 10:30pm I sent an e-mail to Dr.Wilson (curator at Sternberg and bird expert).

I met with Dr.Wilson the next morning (first day of classes for me) and agreed to donate it to the Sternberg museum where I could work on it. This is just the start of what will turn out to be a fantastic project. Stay tuned...

-Kris (KansasFossilHunter)

Edited by KansasFossilHunter

You can see the jaw in the center of the photo:

The sternum or keel was a pretty cool thing to find:

Way to go, Kris! :o

That's a heck of a start to your college career! :D

Congratulations, and thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome find Kris! Good luck with the extraction. It looks painstakingly tedious.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That cleaned up nicely!

Please post your largess in the Contributions to Paleontology forum: LINK :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Now that's really exciting! Congratulations and have fun prepping it down to the bone! That's really nice to still be able to prep your find AFTER you've donated it!

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks guys!! I get to prep this specimen with the professor in the museum and I'm getting a key to the prep lab as well!

That cleaned up nicely!

Please post your largess in the Contributions to Paleontology forum: LINK :)

Will do :)

Thanks guys!! I get to prep this specimen with the professor in the museum and I'm getting a key to the prep lab as well!

You're gonna' need a bigger hat! :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi

Very impressive find.

I'm also really jealous that your doing a degree in palaeontology. I knew I shouldn't have done Chemical Engineering!

All the best and have fun

Nick

Awesome find and mostly congratulations on being at FHSU and being able to work on the lab there. It is going to be a great time for you!

Outstanding, Kris! What a way to introduce yourself to the Paleontology department. :D

Definitely looking forward to seeing your progress on this find.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congratulations! Dr. Wilson must have been thrilled! Have a fantastic time working with her!