Sea Turtle

Brian Worley

This turtle I've concluded is not Protostega. I found it in Ek (= Eocene age, Kincaid Formation) or Ewp (= Eocene age, Wills Point Formation). This makes it a more valuable scientific specimen. The experts are puzzled so maybe it new who knows. I'm in contact with the Perot Museum in Dallas and they want it based on this information. As you can see in the photo the ribs spread farther as they extend form the vertebrae. The anticent turtle had a wide to narrow. As soon as I know I will post it.

post-16273-0-97405100-1411617955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Worley

Woah, interesting first post!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Heck of a fossil; good job collecting it (looks like a tough one to keep whole)!

Are you asking about the ratio from vertebra to creature size?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes trying to find out what type it may be. This was a lucky find I heard fossil were there. I've walk the beach for days and have found nothing else not even a sharks tooth. I wish I knew how much was missing

I'll move this to Fossil ID, where it will get more attention from those who might know. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I don't have permission at this point since I'm new unless I doing it wrong. I tried to edit and add pic but it didn't work Sorry

If you add a reply clique on the "More Reply Options" below the "Reply to this topic" box and you can add pictures to that reply.

If you edit a reply you can clique on "Use Full Editor" to add additional pictures up to a 2MB total.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Large file size is the usual reason an image fails to attach.

There are two short tutorials in the FAQ forum that will help.

Have you sent any photos to SMU?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I donated a fossil fish tail with about five vertebras

Edited by Brian Worley

I donated a fossil fish tail with about five vertebras

I was wondering whether you sent any photos of your above find to SMU for identification?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have narrowed it down from a Toxochelys to a small Protostege. Now more research what a lucky find.

Edited by Brian Worley

That is an awesome find!! I think it is the most of an aquatic turtle I've ever seen posted on here since this site started. Definitely a contender for "Find of the Month"!

Congratulations!!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Found a new way to help identify just outline item with chalk

post-16273-0-91208200-1409362824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Worley

Wow, I like the patience you've shown in collecting and re-assembling all those pieces. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

The turtle has a name

Protostega ('first roof') is an extinct genus of marine turtle containing a single species, Protostega gigas. Its fossil remains have been found in the Smoky Hill Chalk formation of western Kansas (Hesperornis zone, dated to 83.5 million years ago[1]) and time-equivalent beds of the Mooreville Chalk Formation of Alabama.[2] Fossil specimens of this species were first collected in 1871, and named by Edward Drinker Cope in 1872.[3] With a length of 3 metres (9.8 ft), it is the second-largest sea turtle that ever lived, second only to the giant Archelon,[4] and the third-largest turtle of all time behind Archelon and Stupendemys.[5]