Raptor Egg Shell From Judith River Formation

lormouth

I'm assuming the locality is Montana? There is a AMNH paper "The vertebrate fauna of the Judith River Formation, Montana. Bulletin of the AMNH ; v. 147, article 6. Sahni, Ashok" that looks at the fauna of the Judith River FM which mentions and illustrates a few egg fragments, so they can be found. You can see it online in a PDF format just go to the link shown below. The egg shells in the paper are not as crisp/detailed as the one sold. Question I would have is it authentic from that locality. I have collect eggshells from Montana but they are from the Two Medicine FM.

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/1099

Thanks for the document, according to the seller, it came from the judith river formation...

Now I realize that few month ago I bought to the same seller an eggshell which look like this one but coming from the Hell Creek Formation !(see the photo)....Well, do you think it could be a raptor eggshell? May be there's some paper on it too?

post-11022-0-24510000-1408883880_thumb.jpg

No idea, but the shell surface structure is not typical of what I'm familiar with on other dinosaur eggs and is not similiar to the one you have from the Judith River. I've never seen or heard anyone with shell material from the Hell Creek but that's my experience and they could exist. Is the seller on eBay a dealer or collector?

The only references I could find are listed below:

1)Jepsen G.L. 1931. Dinosaur egg shell fragments from Montana. Science 73(1879): 12-13. 0

2)Horner, J. and Gorman. p. 195. Digging Dinosaurs. Workman Press. This is just a brief comment about Jepsen paper.

This shard very much resembles those on the market being sold as Saltasaur eggs.

How confident are you with the stated source location?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is the old saying "Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas."

Before buying anything on ebay, do some research into the background of the dealer. If they are not a reputable dealer of fossils, I'd have a knowledgable person check it out before buying.

Sometimes the seller is outright dishonest, but sometimes they didn't realize they they had been fooled when they bought it themselves.

Also be suspicious if it went for very much less than the real mcoy. That means the knowledgable buyers were suspicious of it and that is why the auction price stayed so low.

Edited by tmaier

This shard very much resembles those on the market being sold as Saltasaur eggs.

Boy, I was thinking raptor egg shell and Auspex comment is right on. I compared your specimen to the Saltasaur shell material in my collection and its a match as to color and texture. No sauropods in the Hell Creek. Its probably good that when you saw that Judith River specimen it already had been sold.

No idea, but the shell surface structure is not typical of what I'm familiar with on other dinosaur eggs and is not similiar to the one you have from the Judith River. I've never seen or heard anyone with shell material from the Hell Creek but that's my experience and they could exist. Is the seller on eBay a dealer or collector?

The only references I could find are listed below:

1)Jepsen G.L. 1931. Dinosaur egg shell fragments from Montana. Science 73(1879): 12-13. 0

2)Horner, J. and Gorman. p. 195. Digging Dinosaurs. Workman Press. This is just a brief comment about Jepsen paper.

Thanks again for the references, I'll check on internet. The seller is a dealer : allcash818, he have a 100% positive feedback and he use to sell a lot of dinosaur material. About my eggshell, I should have ask him more details...

I have bought from this dealer, and have been satisfied with my purchases, but it must be understood that he is not a paleontologist; he is a reseller. He lists his items as what he was told they were, and his listings are not always correct.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I also have been satisfied with my purchases with this dealer but will only buy items that I very comfortable with the ID. His listings have not always been on the mark and he not knowledgeable enough to spot obvious mistakes as well as lots of other eBay fossil sellers. That is why this is a great forum to bounce potential purchases off of.

The other comment I will make is that just because someone has a good eBay feedback rating it does not mean he knows what he selling or more important buyers know what they are buying to give a bad rating.

The first eggshell looks pretty thin to me. My titanosaur/saltasaur eggshell is pretty thick.