Pcs Roll Call

Hogtownfossil

Guest bmorefossil
I finally got my 3 slots for, my girlfriend, my mom, and me. I've fossil hunted with my mom since I was a kid and it's nice to be able to still go with her.

Anyway, my date is March 28th so I'll most likely go down on the 27th, go to GMR that day, wake up and go to the mine on the 28th and head home Sunday morning the 29th. I'll probably miss most of you coming in on the 29th but if you come down on the 28, I'll probably go back to the museum after my trip to the mine.

Hope to see some of you there! I'll be staying at the Lemon tree, most likely. If you are going in that day and you'd like to trade some things. Give me a pm.

the 28th seems to be the date for everyone haha im all by myself well my father and I are

Guest bmorefossil
Looks I'm in on April 4th

hey someone is going in in April I think you are the first to say so, good luck. I wish I could go in on my birthday wouldnt that be cool but I a few weeks after my birthday

Looks like the season has been set. I copied this from the Elasmo website. There is some new info. It sounds like they are going to provide hard hats if you don't have one and goggles. Read the last sentence; We should be in for a great season!!!!!!!

"February 19, 2009

Season Scheduled

The 2009 spring fossil season at PCS Phosphate-Aurora will commence Feb. 28 and continue through May 9th. First weekend slots will consist of Friends of the Museum members, with clubs, individuals and remaining Friends members filling later dates. The required paperwork has been updated slightly for this season but remains essentially the same as in past years. If you dont have a hard hat, PCS will furnish one but the required steel-toed shoes are the responsibility of the collector. Company furnished goggles are still required to be worn on all hard hats so pick up a pair when you get your hat. Please dont show up in shorts, capris, or tank tops as you'll be turned away. Check-in time remains 7:30am.

Although rain has caused a bit of delay, our fossil ramp is in the final stages of completion. We have very large and all new collecting area that should allow for future reclaimation advances with no problems. According to Tex Gilmore, PCS Chief Geologist, this looks to be some of the best fossil tailings he has seen in a long time."

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

yep sounds like it will be a great season i hope the fossil forum crew shows up and owns!!!!

...if only we had shirts to represent...

yea that could be a problem, how many people dont have a forum shirt yet?

I dont have one! No steel shoes, no shirt, no fossils :P I'd like one though, x-large.

I'm going in the day before the forum :P:D It's too bad I can't go both days. :D

I would like to get a shirt as well. There are just too many of you coming on different days, so if you want to contact me, send me a message on here or just get up with me at the hunt. I will be working most Saturdays and will not be hard to find. I would love for you to come introduce yourselves!

I don't want to offend anyone, but I see there are some who are new to PCS this year, and sadly, I have seen a lot of the mistakes made in the past by people used to hunting other areas. PCS is pretty unique, and we want everyone to have a good time and find great fossils, but most of all, be safe.

With that said, I would like to make a few recommendations for new hunters to the mine:

1-Be sure to carry plenty of water, and other drinks if you want. Carrying just sodas is not recommended, from a medical point of view. It can get very hot in the mine and even experienced hunters have gotten into trouble not having enough liquids with them. Freezing bottles of water works well, you can drink them as they melt. Camel-back type backpacks work well too. (I carry 100 oz.)

2-The shoes have to be "safety toe" but can be whichever style is most comfortable for you. Many prefer the over the ankle height because it provides more support in the rough terrain. Be sure to break them in before THE DAY as you don't want blisters to spoil your fun.

3-Bring a walking stick, scoop, potato rake, ski pole or other item for walking and turing over items. Some carry shovels, but I guess I am not that ambitious!

4-They are wanting us to carry gloves (leather I think) this year, many of use use bicycling or weight lifting gloves as they protect the palm but allow fossils to be picked up easily. Bring yours if you have them.

5 - Due to the changing Carolina weather, dressing in layers is always a good idea (one day started at 27 and ended at 70 degrees).

Other suggestions include wearing a vest and/or an apron (think nail apron) with pockets to hold fossils, small bottles or divided containers with cotton balls or paper tissue in them to protect small finds, newspaper to protect larger fossils, sunscreen, a backpack for supplies and fossils. The list is much longer, but I have probably bored everyone already. If you want any other ideas, feel free to contact me on here or email.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I see there are some who are new to PCS this year, and sadly, I have seen a lot of the mistakes made in the past by people used to hunting other areas. PCS is pretty unique, and we want everyone to have a good time and find great fossils, but most of all, be safe.

With that said, I would like to make a few recommendations for new hunters to the mine:

1-Be sure to carry plenty of water, and other drinks if you want. Carrying just sodas is not recommended, from a medical point of view. It can get very hot in the mine and even experienced hunters have gotten into trouble not having enough liquids with them. Freezing bottles of water works well, you can drink them as they melt. Camel-back type backpacks work well too. (I carry 100 oz.)

2-The shoes have to be "safety toe" but can be whichever style is most comfortable for you. Many prefer the over the ankle height because it provides more support in the rough terrain. Be sure to break them in before THE DAY as you don't want blisters to spoil your fun.

3-Bring a walking stick, scoop, potato rake, ski pole or other item for walking and turing over items. Some carry shovels, but I guess I am not that ambitious!

4-They are wanting us to carry gloves (leather I think) this year, many of use use bicycling or weight lifting gloves as they protect the palm but allow fossils to be picked up easily. Bring yours if you have them.

5 - Due to the changing Carolina weather, dressing in layers is always a good idea (one day started at 27 and ended at 70 degrees).

Other suggestions include wearing a vest and/or an apron (think nail apron) with pockets to hold fossils, small bottles or divided containers with cotton balls or paper tissue in them to protect small finds, newspaper to protect larger fossils, sunscreen, a backpack for supplies and fossils. The list is much longer, but I have probably bored everyone already. If you want any other ideas, feel free to contact me on here or email.

No offense taken. In fact it is better to hear the rules many times no matter how many times you've been in. It may even be helpful to those who are going in for the first time to see the questions on the waiver form. And we can even start a new thread for what people are going to take into the mine.

I wear a fly-fishermans vest into the mine because it has so many pockets and aslo carry altoids containers to store everything. You are right, newspaper and papertowels are great ideas to wrap fossils up in. I had a few paper towels but ended up borrowing Pats paper lunch bag to wrap up my meg in :D

well i think we will have to talk with Anson when he gets a new computer

Sounds like I plan, I was wondering where he was.

I go in on Sunday March 1st - my earliest date ever. I've been told by someone who would know that they

will have two ramps built with a HUGE collecting area this season.

-greel

Greel,

I'm going that day too. Hope to meet you then.

James

Guest solius symbiosus
Where can you get a shirt Bmore?

The shirts sold out pretty fast when they were ordered, but there was some talk of ordering more, and some caps. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: I found one thread in a search, but it wasn't really about the shirts and hats.

yea that could be a problem, how many people dont have a forum shirt yet?

Hi bmore, I will be going on March 29th. I would love a forum shirt too! XL would be great.

Hot off the presses (or email)... apparently we are NOT giong to have to carry gloves into the mine this year, but I do recommend the fingerless weightlifter type in case you decide to do the "Pungo Crawl" after the ever elusive bramble toorh (or the meg buried except for that little edge). Goggles will be provided by PCS, and will have to be worn for any chipping, safety glasses are suggested (but you don't have to go buy them), and best of all, to my knowledge... all is "green light go" for starting on saturday!