Pcs Roll Call

Hogtownfossil

I have no idea where I'll be staying at yet, this is my first time to the mine. I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions on accommodations and also any other spots to check while in the area. I'll be driving up from Tarpon Springs FL and probably use a couple days before/after the 29th to do some additional poking around.

Speaking of poking around, I'll be on the Peace River again this weekend and will try to post some of what I've been finding there. I've been watching this forum for awhile (I'm very impressed by the way!) so I should probably step up and start contributing some info and pics.

Guest N.AL.hunter

The sun is shinning, the birds are singing and I'll be at Lee Creek for the March 28th dig/hunt. Hope to see some of you there. Now to buy hardhats and steel-toe boots. [This will add to my collection of hardhats/helmets, since I have them for: Caving, Bicycle riding, kayaking, and of course Scooter riding].

I have no idea where I'll be staying at yet, this is my first time to the mine. I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions on accommodations and also any other spots to check while in the area. I'll be driving up from Tarpon Springs FL and probably use a couple days before/after the 29th to do some additional poking around.

Speaking of poking around, I'll be on the Peace River again this weekend and will try to post some of what I've been finding there. I've been watching this forum for awhile (I'm very impressed by the way!) so I should probably step up and start contributing some info and pics.

Hello,

You can't really stay in Aurora, it's too small of a town. Stay in Washington, NC, it's about 30 minutes from the mine. That is about the closest place with hotels and places to eat. All you gotta do is take 7S and 33E from Washington to Aurora. A list of the hotels with #'s is at the bottom of this message. Non are that nice. I would recommend the Holiday inn Express, or the Days Inn, and would NOT recommend the Washington motel.

If you have a few days, you should try sifting Greens Mill Run for Great Whites and Mosasaur teeth. The Run goes through Greenville, NC. Just go on 33 West from Aurora, till you hit Greenville, there's lots of spots to pull off and get into the creek.

Finally, if you get there a day or so early, go to the Aurora Fossil Museum and sift the Pungo reject piles, this will get your eyes use to the substrate, so you will find more teeth when you go into the mine.

Later,

Washington Motel

(252) 946-5161

1011 Carolina Ave

Days Inn

(252) 946-6141

916 Carolina Ave

Holiday Inn Express-Highway 17

(252) 946-5500

1031 Carolina Ave

Sunset Inn Of Washington

(252) 946-6551

1109 Carolina Ave

Econo Lodge

(252) 946-7781

Guest bmorefossil
Anyone have a extra slot this year please think about me and let me know I am stuck without one. thanks :faint:

no sorry i only asked for two slots <_<

I have not heard back yet?? Hope that is not a bad sign!! I was one of the ones who got cancelled last fall. Hope to hear soon or I'll now start panicking.

I haven't heard yet either so don't fret. I was canceled last session as well. I'm hoping for a nice slot because I sent my request in at 12:00.02 midnight :DOh, it you were an ealry bird like me you need to send Curtis a other email! They were deleted! :faint: I can remember people posting on the forum that they already had spots I I still did not have an email for Curtis yet. He has a lot to go through and I bet it takes him a few days to get emails out to all the clubs and other individuals. BTW did the FF (Fossil forum) get a spot as a club?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Me too :shades:

I guess it's pretty hot there in May. This will be my first trip there ever.

Yeah, it gets hot and there is little to no shade, only what you can get from some of the slopes. Don't laugh at me but I swear I'm going to bring a small umbrella for my backpack so I can pull it out and have some shade for a while, after I find that 6" that is :D

Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder if they allow horse trading of these slots...

Is there an advantage of going earlier in the season? Or, is it like the places where we collect where on any given day it can be good?

Well, the first few slots are good because no one has set foot in the place and everything has been rained on and washed out for awhile. So I would say yes, first slots have a slight advantage, but what you want is a good rain before your trip in the middle of the week. If you don't get a good rain chances are your going to see a lot of footprints but don't let this get you down. I went in at almost the last slot last spring and came out with a 4+. The place is like a desert, (there are some pools of water though) so it's not going to replenish itself like at the shore of a beach or in a river. It all depends on a good eye and luck!

Hello,

You can't really stay in Aurora, it's too small of a town. Stay in Washington, NC, it's about 30 minutes from the mine. That is about the closest place with hotels and places to eat. All you gotta do is take 7S and 33E from Washington to Aurora. A list of the hotels with #'s is at the bottom of this message. Non are that nice. I would recommend the Holiday inn Express, or the Days Inn, and would NOT recommend the Washington motel.

If you have a few days, you should try sifting Greens Mill Run for Great Whites and Mosasaur teeth. The Run goes through Greenville, NC. Just go on 33 West from Aurora, till you hit Greenville, there's lots of spots to pull off and get into the creek.

Finally, if you get there a day or so early, go to the Aurora Fossil Museum and sift the Pungo reject piles, this will get your eyes use to the substrate, so you will find more teeth when you go into the mine.

Later,

Washington Motel

(252) 946-5161

1011 Carolina Ave

Days Inn

(252) 946-6141

916 Carolina Ave

Holiday Inn Express-Highway 17

(252) 946-5500

1031 Carolina Ave

Sunset Inn Of Washington

(252) 946-6551

1109 Carolina Ave

Econo Lodge

(252) 946-7781

There's also the Lemon Tree. That's the one I normally go to. Not that great as well but it's right on the route to Aurora and the other way goes to greenmill run.

hey Jayson, never knew you were on here, thanks for the info when will you be going in?

Hello,

I usually just Lurk.

I'm in the 1st weekend, but i do a bunch of volunteer stuff for them.

Actually, I don't know how much of an advantage the 1st weekend is... When we are the 1st collecting group to set forth in the mine, there are ALWAYS tons of footprints from mine employees scavenging the collecting area. When they find out what date the season starts, they will make an effort to collect the area before we get there. I guess it's a benefit of working for the mine!

Don't expect a pristine footprint clear area the 1st weekend, it's already been hunted.

I think the slight increase in yield by 1st weekend collectors is not due to the fact that it's the 1st weekend, but the fact the 1st weekend collectors are veteran hunters and paleontologists. These people can spot 1/16" of a 5" megalodon root lobe sticking out of the sediment. These seasoned people seem to have x-ray vision.

Later!

Guest bmorefossil
Don't forget bmore. He will get in there in May and come out with at least 3 5" meg teeth. Still don't know how he does it. lol

oh so your gonna jynx me so when i get in there i cant find anything haha!!! na i will be happy with a few makos and a big tiger, its all luck. I just cant wait to see what everyone finds, everyone wants to find the big tooth but as long as I get in im happy. Ill be the young gun alot of pressure....

I go in on Sunday March 1st - my earliest date ever. I've been told by someone who would know that they

will have two ramps built with a HUGE collecting area this season.

-greel

I go in on Sunday March 1st - my earliest date ever. I've been told by someone who would know that they

will have two ramps built with a HUGE collecting area this season.

-greel

Hey Greel, that's great! Hey, when did you find out you're going in? I still haven't heard anything yet :(

Hey Greel, that's great! Hey, when did you find out you're going in? I still haven't heard anything yet :(

Just found out today. My e-mail address had been copied down incorrectly, so I was contacted over the phone.

-greel

Just made our reservations for March 28th at the Days Inn. Hope to see some of you there.

I finally got my 3 slots for, my girlfriend, my mom, and me. I've fossil hunted with my mom since I was a kid and it's nice to be able to still go with her.

Anyway, my date is March 28th so I'll most likely go down on the 27th, go to GMR that day, wake up and go to the mine on the 28th and head home Sunday morning the 29th. I'll probably miss most of you coming in on the 29th but if you come down on the 28, I'll probably go back to the museum after my trip to the mine.

Hope to see some of you there! I'll be staying at the Lemon tree, most likely. If you are going in that day and you'd like to trade some things. Give me a pm.