Dinosaur Fossil Find

ridgerd22511

The following fossils that i have found I have personally clean up. I am unsure of the exact type of species I am dealing with. Because of the amount of detail within these fossils, I am having a hard time getting someone to authenticate them. If anyone is interested in helping me verify that these findings are real please contact me.

post-15024-0-38057100-1408919115_thumb.jpg

post-15024-0-21820000-1408919322_thumb.jpg

That's pretty wild looking! Where is it from?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This looks carved to me.

Not seeing a dino fossil.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The first one looks carved. The patterning however is somewhat similar to lava bombs/flow - although yours is more organized.

The items posted are from the northern neck of va. What can I do to prove they are not clay or any other moldable materials. X-rays for density? These items are magnetic.

These look like plain old rocks to me.

Well they certainly don't look plain. And not sure about the old and rock part either :)

Ridgerd: The fact that they appear to be a consistent color is throwing me and likely others off. Had they been painted or coated with something? The color and the carved looking texture is what is making us think it is clay.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

The items posted are from the northern neck of va. What can I do to prove they are not clay or any other moldable materials. X-rays for density? These items are magnetic.

Being magnetic is interesting, but leads away from fossil... Not many things are replaced or permineralised with magnetic materials. Unfortunately I don't see any structure which suggests dinosaur, bone or even anything organic in origin.

Regards

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Hello,

If the piece is not molded or carved, then it's certainly an interesting rock!

It doesn't appear to be fossil, but it's a neat find.

Reese

Just curious.... do you mean it has metal content so that a magnet is attracted to the rock? or do you mean the rock is actually magnetic and attracting metal objects?

Here's a picture of a piece of ochre ground by prehistoric people for comparison.

dn21046-7_500.jpg

from this article.

http://www.newscientist.com/articleimages/dn21046/5-oldest-artists-workshop-in-the-world-discovered.html

It may still be something entirely different. But if it is a prehistoric artifact of ochre that may be cooler than a plain old fossil :)

Because of the amount of detail within these fossils, I am having a hard time getting someone to authenticate them.

This line confuses me. Too much detail for verification? Anyway, they do not look like fossils. They are certainly not dinosaurian as the title of your post suggests. Sorry,man. But ochre thingies... Now that would be cool.

In three topics, you have presented some interesting rocks that you proposed were teeth or claws, some interesting rocks that you proposed could be pterodactyl eggs, and some very interesting rock that you wonder whether they might be pterodactyl or T-rex.

All of these were found on Virginia's Northern Neck? In that area, you should be looking for Cenozoic marine fossils; shark's teeth, whale bones, this sort of thing. Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with these kinds of fossils, and you will likely find some. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I"m posting pictures from the gallery to the Id forum tomorrow if possible with x-rays from Riverside Hospital radiology department in Tappahanock, Va. These prove that these "carved items" have the same density as other authentic dinosaur fossils. These in no way, shape or form can be man made or carved. Please help me in anyway you can, I'm trying to get all the facts that are available.

Thank you very much

There is one overlaying fact that should start any discussion about your specimens:

>You found them where there are no exposed deposits of dinosaur age.

Any successful attempt to ID these specimens must abandon the dinosaur mindset, and focus on what is possible.

I've found lots of dino bones. Those are by no means dino bones. They aren't bones of any kind.

Not sure what they are, but I'm not seeing anything that leads towards a fossil of any kind.

When the first dinosaur fossils were found if it had been a web site would everyone have said the same things you all are saying? Nothing is impossible just wait

When the first dinosaur fossils were found if it had been a web site would everyone have said the same things you all are saying? Nothing is impossible just wait

There are many things which are impossible. Your find being any part of a dinosaur fossil is one of them. The other members that have reviewed your find have nothing to gain by misleading you or denying something genuine.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You came to the forum to seek the opinion of individuals who have lots of experiences in many different areas of fossil collecting. Included in this group are a number of people who have been collecting dinosaur bones for many years and are pretty good at recognizing what they look like. It's unfortunate that their opinion does not meet your expectations but that the reality. You can choose to ignore as it appears you are and continue your quest buts the responses will never be any different.

Archived