Dinosaur Fossil Find

ridgerd22511

Why not just take them to a local university or museum, and see what they have to say about the items? If you are truly interested in finding out what they are, I think this is the best route.

Someone viewing your items in hand would be better than us trying to determine from pictures what you have. And obviously, you don't believe what we are saying about your items.

Come back and let us know what they have to say about your items.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Have we not seen this situation several times in the past? User posts something asking our opinion, several very knowledgable people chime in with the same answers, user does not beleive the answers..... User usualy ends up getting banned..... Just saying.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Have we not seen this situation several times in the past? User posts something asking our opinion, several very knowledgable people chime in with the same answers, user does not beleive the answers..... User usualy ends up getting banned..... Just saying.

Although we have seen similar situations before, it should be made clear that anyone banned was due to a gross breach of the Forum rules...not due to having a different opinion about their find.

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

When the first dinosaur fossils were found if it had been a web site would everyone have said the same things you all are saying? Nothing is impossible just wait

That is completely false. If this forum was around back then, they would be calling the remains those of unidentified animals or reptiles. They wouldn't be called rocks or non-fossils, as is the case here.

You are only 30 miles from Westmoreland State Park; there are fossil displays in their visitor's center where you can see the kinds of fossils to be found in your area, and sections of their beach are open for collecting. A visit would be a great way for you to get yourself oriented on the local geology, and what can be found. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These specimens look like volcanic thermal vent castings. The theory is that the vents went extinct and we're filled in over time from sedimentation. The vents fracture and release their "core". Over time, erosion from water, wind and sand shape the piece into their shape like glacial stones. The Field Museum in Chicago has a few of these types of rocks. I will endeavor to locate the article before I start my homework grind today.

...I'm back.

When the first dinosaur fossils were found if it had been a web site would everyone have said the same things you all are saying? Nothing is impossible just wait

Hi there Ridger,

What everyone is saying is that these don't look anything like dinosaur bones. They may be some other type of fossil or rock that may be very very old. Or maybe a prehistoric artifact. They are very interesting but they are definitely not dinosaur bones.

• Raggedy Man has given a very intriguing possibility--volcanic thermal vent castings.

• Another interesting possibility was a piece of ochre that was carved and scraped.

Anyway, the folk on the forum are trying hard to help you to find your answer.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Just to add... ochre is not magnetic. It might be weakly so if magnetite was present as a secondary mineral. I'm not seeing pigment blocks. Give it a streak on the back (unglazed) side of an old ceramic tile and let us know what colour it leaves (after you blow away the dust). Doesn't look like anything geological, palaeontological or archaeological that I've ever seen.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Just bringing the image forward, for continuity:

post-423-0-16637700-1409682621_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The person who posted these uploaded some more photos in their Gallery. The background shows a dremel like tool, lots of rock dust, dental picks, etc. Pretty sure these are carved.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Honestly it looks like someone's abstract sculpture that was sculpted around a Canine skull in an attempt to make some unworldly creature.

It's not bone.

I would just take it to a hospital to get it x-rayed or to a museum for a in depth, in hand study. Or slice er' in half. A inside view or a cross section would be the true determining factor for an ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Yes, I too have been wondering if Ridgerd has been just pulling our legs with his art project. :)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

The person who posted these uploaded some more photos in their Gallery. The background shows a dremel like tool, lots of rock dust, dental picks, etc. Pretty sure these are carved.

Ramo

I saw these pics last week. (Moved here for context.)

post-420-0-42216500-1409685162_thumb.jpg post-420-0-78516700-1409685177_thumb.jpg

I am trying to load the exrays and images. Dental picks and tooth brushes are tools for cleaning not carving. Forgive my slow response time. Thank you

I am trying to load the exrays and images. Dental picks and tooth brushes are tools for cleaning not carving. Forgive my slow response time. Thank you

How many different items are represented in your Gallery photos?

Excellent observation guys. It's the same item, being progressively carved... or at the very least having details added to it which were not originally present.

post-6208-0-12071000-1409686174_thumb.jpg

Ridgerd... when you said: "Nothing is impossible just wait".... did you mean we have to wait until you've finished improving the resemblance to eyes, snout, nostrils, mouth etc before we make further dismissive and disparaging comments? Let us know when you're ready.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

ridgerd22511, why is the item on the left different in the common areas seen on the right two images?

post-420-0-63593600-1409688959_thumb.jpg

Perhaps ridgerd22511 should send his photos to Harvey Rowe at the Smithsonian Institution Paleoanthropology Division for a definitive opinion. :D

Don

Wait, wait, wait...

It's not done evolving yet. :D

Easy...folks. Keep things focused on the object, not the person.

Archived