Dinosaur Fossil Find

ridgerd22511

Uninformed curiosity is fine, believing/wanting something to be what it is not is human nature, turning to accusations of conspiracy to support a belief (in the face of solid evidence to the contrary) is delusional.

That is where the benefit of doubt expires.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Interesting thread indeed, and now it seems ridged has given up on us. His loss. I would just like to say that from a museum professional's point of view, we get these guys coming in to the museum every now and then. They are even more 'entertaining' in person. There was the guy from Utah who drove all the way to Casper to argue for his finds after all the paleo types in Utah told him he did NOT have a Precambrian sea monster. Google " Zoria" a serious adventure in eye-rolling mayhem.

I was hit by the Sea Zori guy, too. A supremely classic example. And I'll just say what we are all thinking: a book/website of all these types of stories would be spectacular! I have such a book of stories collected in the 20s in some observatory out west (trying to find the name for you folks) and it is as spectacular as it is familiar!

I was hit by the Sea Zori guy, too. A supremely classic example. And I'll just say what we are all thinking: a book/website of all these types of stories would be spectacular! I have such a book of stories collected in the 20s in some observatory out west (trying to find the name for you folks) and it is as spectacular as it is familiar!

Discovered the blog/website for these finds...part of me kind of feels bad for the guy, part (most) of me is rather entertained, and the other part did such a big facepalm that my hand now has an impression of my face. From the poor writing and clear lack of knowledge of how paleontology works to the "necessity" of the invention of a new field of science clearly named rather poorly after himself...

I have to agree with you Carl, a book/website compilation of these things would be a real gem; I'd buy it/pay for it. :P

My gracious goodness, I just red the entire thread. :wacko::wacko::wacko: Some heat this discussion had.

This thread has components that is similar to things that entertain mainstream culture.

Notice that this thread has been viewed more than 3600 times. Very popular subject. :D

Maybe, but it is not really the sort of subject matter that we seek. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Sense this has gone on and on , I will add my 2cents . I think it is the head of a dragon fetus that's why it is so wrinkly and its bone structure is nothing like anything seen before or will ever been seen again . If i'm wrong ,find another one to compare it to. Problem solved ! Now give it a name and if another one shows up we will know what to call it . :P Sorry had to have a little fun today. But it is a very cool looking blob of something.

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands." But there will be always people who deny this possibility and want to believe it is an alien, disguised as a duck. So what. (slightly modified after Douglas Adams).

We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself (and there is enough place for all kinds of people) (also slightly modified after Douglas Adams)

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

By this, I mean that I don't like to see threads that are 'entertaining' for their potential to elicit ridicule.

The topic starter was not a troll, and did not come here with malicious intent; he was just incapable of opening up to reason.

By this, I mean that I don't like to see threads that are 'entertaining' for their potential to elicit ridicule.

The topic starter was not a troll, and did not come here with malicious intent; he was just incapable of opening up to reason.

+1

To laugh at someone's lack of knowledge from your pillar is just cruel. But to have firmly planted feet on the ground and to TRY and pass on your knowledge to the uneducated that want to learn is helping. But when the "uneducated" boasts on his or her pillar of delusion, and continuously dismisses the help that he or she asked for, it's time for the educator to stop.

We tried....he didn't.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I understand completely the view-count; it was like a car wreck that you just couldn't look away from.

It is to the credit of our community that there is little-to-no malice expressed when things like this come up. Pretty unusual, as the internet goes...

I'd say, VERY unusual as the internet goes. That's why I love this website. Most people on here are genuine, and want to help. We get a few "Trolls" every now and then, and at first I thought this was one. We get a lot more of people who "just found this weird rock and and I am trying to figure out what it is". Almost all the people who have been around here for a while try to explain as nice as possible to these new posters that their "egg" is just a cool looking rock. It takes a little practice to pull this off without offending someone. It seems that most here try to let them down easy and don't resort to personal attacks.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

It did look like he was putting a lot of effort into the rock collecting/prepping with the supplies and dremels and x-rays. I don't think he was faking the stuff just a little confused about what he had.

And he was also finding legitimate fossils as seen in the pile of rocks he had.

post-10955-0-43363400-1410304108_thumb.png

But he didn't appear to be interested in showing those. I guess plain old clams weren't as exciting as the possibility of a dino mold.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

you are sooo bad

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived