Fossil Collecting Laws In Tn

Jarm

Hello Fossil Forum!

I just moved to western TN north of Memphis. I want to get into collecting the Coon Creek formation as well as some of the Paleozoic deposits in the area.

I am completely ignorant of the laws surrounding fossil collecting in TN, and a google search hasn't gotten me anywhere. What are the laws about state land?

Thank you,

Jarm

With State lands, it is always best to check with the administrators of specific sites. There are generalizations, but actual results may vary. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Land as in state parks? If so, you can usually find a website for the park and find lists of activities allowed within the parks confines. Typically the website for the parks will give notice that disturbing plante life, rocks, animals and all other natural materials as well...is against park rules. You might also have state laws against certain types of fossils that can be collected as in vertebrates. As someone who spent a lot of time in TN and Louisiana the laws are weird and sometimes not always searchable. The best thing is to just go to the area and find out who owns it and just ask.

...I'm back.

I am from the area. I hunted fossils in middle and west Tennessee for many years include Coon Creek before it was close to public hunting. Cretaceous strata extends from McNairy County down through north and central Mississippi . Fossil bearing road cuts are common, particularly in Mississippi. There should be no shortage of easily accessible sites.

no rules except you can't collect in state or federal parks. Can't collect vertebrate fossils except loose disjointed pieces.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks a lot of for the replies! Very helpful.

good luck with your search!

If you find out some good sites that are open to the public, please post about them here. I go to Memphis regularly to visit family, and would love a chance to go fossil hunting while there!

Edited by hashemdbouk

Welcome to the forum. Your best source of answers and access to Coon Creek is the Memphis Archeological and Geological Society. Mostly amateurs, they are a nice bunch who visit me in Texas looking for ammonites sometimes. They can also tell you about some of the other great places to collect in the area. Check their website for information.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Coon Creek site earlier this year. I did not find the collecting in the pile of mostly dirt worth the $15 entrance fee. You can't collect in the actual creek site. The Pink Palace site has info on the CC research center.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

You're right Herb. That's why I suggested MAGS. You probably have to join to get to tag along, but they get occasional permission for access to the creek.

I had contacted the dept. of Geology here when I started collecting and this is what they told me:

1. there are no laws regarding collecting at road-cuts, However, it is officer discretion whether or not the police want you to move. (of coarse its illegal to be a pedestrian on an interstate like I-40, but the on/off ramps are ok)

2. collecting in state parks is forbidden without a permit (which on institutions can get.)

3. private property requires the permission of the land owner.