Charmouth Beetle Wing Case (Elytron)

Kosmoceras

I found this tiny but rare example of a Jurassic beetle wing case last month while collecting with a couple of forum members. After contacting the Charmouth Heritage Centre I got the likely ID of Liassocupes sp and I am in the process of recording the find as requested by the West Dorset Fossil Collecting Code.

post-4683-0-25610500-1409081258_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-88661300-1409081259_thumb.jpg

The specimen will remain in my collection but if a researcher is interested in viewing the specimen for study arrangements will be made.

Really pleased to have found this specimen!

Best regards,

Thomas

Well done!

I am particularly impressed with the provisions within the Fossil Collecting Code.

For our members' erudition, I attach a link to the PDF: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations, Thomas!

Well spotted.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It is a sensible code that attempts to concile (is that a word?) the different interests, and I like that it has a list of what's rare and worth recording and offering to museums and what's not. We could use something like this here!

But what if the place became a World Heritage Site? How would that affect the Code?

Well done!

I am particularly impressed with the provisions within the Fossil Collecting Code.

For our members' erudition, I attach a link to the PDF: LINK

Europe is so much more accepting of private collectors than is the USA

reconcile is a word

but it seems to imply that things were fine and then there was falling out, and the reconciled.. re- meaning 'again' - What were they before the falling out?

(splitting hairs, I know) ;)

Thank you all for your kind words.

But what if the place became a World Heritage Site? How would that affect the Code?

The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site ;)

" The primary objective for the World Heritage Site in terms of the management of the fossil interest is to provide the most effective mechanism for the recovery of fossils of great scientific value that are constantly at risk of damage or destruction by the sea. We believe that collectors with open access to the site and acting under the guidance of responsible collecting offer the best way to achieve that aim. In addition, we want to see the coast used as a place to inspire and engage people in geology and fossils through, where it is sustainable, the collection of fossils. Ultimately, this is a site where collecting can take place in many, but not all areas, but that must be at a level which does not compromise the scientific integrity of site, indeed, it should complement it.

Fossil collecting and fossil collectors are an essential part in the management of the Jurassic Coast for the simple fact that if the fossils are not collected, they will be destroyed by the very process that expose them; the sea. For that reason people are allowed to collect in many (but not all) parts of the World Heritage Site. "

- http://jurassiccoast.org/conserving-the-coast/fossil-collecting

It's heavily divided. England is the most rational about it, from the amateur collector's point of view. Other countries in europe have much more restrictive collection laws. All collecting in Italy is banned.

but it seems to imply that things were fine and then there was falling out, and the reconciled.. re- meaning 'again' - What were they before the falling out?

(splitting hairs, I know) ;)

I guess you'll just have to write your own dictionary.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you all for your kind words.

The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site ;)

" The primary objective for the World Heritage Site in terms of the management of the fossil interest is to provide the most effective mechanism for the recovery of fossils of great scientific value that are constantly at risk of damage or destruction by the sea. We believe that collectors with open access to the site and acting under the guidance of responsible collecting offer the best way to achieve that aim. In addition, we want to see the coast used as a place to inspire and engage people in geology and fossils through, where it is sustainable, the collection of fossils. Ultimately, this is a site where collecting can take place in many, but not all areas, but that must be at a level which does not compromise the scientific integrity of site, indeed, it should complement it.

Fossil collecting and fossil collectors are an essential part in the management of the Jurassic Coast for the simple fact that if the fossils are not collected, they will be destroyed by the very process that expose them; the sea. For that reason people are allowed to collect in many (but not all) parts of the World Heritage Site. "

- http://jurassiccoast.org/conserving-the-coast/fossil-collecting

Ah (I thought I read that it was not yet a WHS)... So this shows that World Heritage status does not automatically end collecting for amateurs.. Interesting....

I guess you'll just have to write your own dictionary.

If the Oxford Dictionary can add 'YOLO' and 'adorbs' and 'amazeballs', why not 'concile'?

...If the Oxford Dictionary can add 'YOLO' and 'adorbs' and 'amazeballs', why not 'concile'?

Perhaps as a conciliatory gesture? :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

JP,

That's because Europeans have been collecting fossils as a hobby longer than the USA has been a country and longer than paleontology has been a science. I thought the 60's and 70's would have mellowed us out more but we became more uptight somehow.

Jess

As a former English teacher, it warms my heart to see words and their definitions taken so seriously. "Reconcile" came into English in a form with the re- already attached. "Concile" came in around the same time, but has become archaic and disused.

Interesting

...Also intreresting that my inventive (regressive?) use of the language has spawned almost more discussion than the original topic! (Sorry, Thomas!)

Archived