Petrified Wood?

TyrannosaurusRex

I found this today in Midland tx. It is not from here though. Any ideas? A little over an inch long and very worn. post-13624-0-57605800-1409086823_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The nearest thing to fossil that it reminds me of is a capybara tooth, or a broken piece of a small mammoth tooth. Not to say that's what it is, but that is what it brings to mind.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The nearest thing to fossil that it reminds me of is a capybara tooth, or a broken piece of a small mammoth tooth. Not to say that's what it is, but that is what it brings to mind.

That explains why it sticks to my tongue! Thanks Auspex! Never found a vertabrate fossil before.

Remember that I'm just putting my observations out there; the ID is far from settled!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I could buy mammoth before capybara, again, not to say that is what it is. I'm not comfortable calling this piece anything, there are several things it could be. Not a lot of diagnostic details left though. Petrified wood seems reasonable.

Edit: could you get a clear picture of the end in the bottom right photo?

Edited by calhounensis

I have also seen some iron deposits form like that in sandstone... with no provenance this will be difficult, see if you can get some detailed images of the end as calhounesis suggested as well as a close up of those brown darker ridges. With that we should be able to get a better idea if it is organic (wood), enamel or mineralogical. Cheers Chris

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I have also seen some iron deposits form like that in sandstone... with no provenance this will be difficult, see if you can get some detailed images of the end as calhounesis suggested as well as a close up of those brown darker ridges. With that we should be able to get a better idea if it is organic (wood), enamel or mineralogical. Cheers Chris

Likewise. On the top right photo however, the left end appears to be bone. A clearer image would be nice.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

I think what Chris said is most likely correct, iron deposits in sandstone. That, or a similar minerological occurrence.

Edited by calhounensis