Sign in to follow this  
Sacha

Aug. 25Th 2014 Florida's Santa Fe River Trip And Id Request

Sacha

It's been almost a year and a half since I've been to the Santa Fe. The last time I was cited by fish and game and warned off the river, informed that you couldn't use a shovel to dig for fossils in the river bottom. After discussions with U of FL paleontologists and having the documenting e-mails printed and in my pack, I was ready to try it again. This is the first time water levels have been low enough to give it another shot.

It wasn't a day for great finds, but it was a decent day out none the less. The following 3 pictures are of something I can't identify. I thought it was a damaged turtle nuchal scute, but the back side isn't correct. One surface looks very alligatory, and I'm guessing that's what its from. It is bi-laterally symmetric, so I'm also guessing centerline skull element or pelvis. Am I close??

post-12135-0-42193700-1409170322_thumb.jpg

post-12135-0-63591500-1409170344_thumb.jpg

post-12135-0-52995200-1409170371_thumb.jpg

Al Dente

It resembles the parietal bone from an alligator.

jcbshark

Glad you made it out John, I think Caleb is going to the Peace tomorrow. He said the level was good and I've been watching some other spots that looks like the water is at a huntable level as well. I've got the itch to do some siftin :)

Sacha

Glad you made it out John, I think Caleb is going to the Peace tomorrow. He said the level was good and I've been watching some other spots that looks like the water is at a huntable level as well. I've got the itch to do some siftin :)

He called and asked me to go, but I was worn out from sifting limestone rubble all of Monday. Your creeks should all be down based on what the Peace is doing. I've been watching for your posts and have been surprised you haven't been showing massive finds!

Sacha

It resembles the parietal bone from an alligator.

Thanks Al. I had thought it looked like the bone right between the eyes.

jcbshark

Believe me John, I wish I was finding some stuff to show off and it's not that I haven't been out. I think I wore out my good luck a few weeks ago but should be turning around any day now lol

parkerfw

I live in Jacksonville and have often wondered about the Santa Fe. Went to the Peace River in March and had a lot of fun, sifting mostly with a shovel. Lucked up and found a perfect Meg. But is one spot better than another on the Santa Fe?

Sacha

The Santa Fe is a good river for divers and not so great for screen sifters. Lots of deep holes and springs out of my reach. Lots of state park property along the northern stretches. I'm down to one small section near High Springs that has fossils and I wouldn't call it productive, but frequently the water is low enough to hunt when the Peace is flooded. The rain has them all on the rise this week.