Burgess Vibro-Tool

RockHound66

I just got a Burgess vibro tool but no instructions...I see how to mount the tips to a piece that goes into the vibro tool but I dont see

how that connects securely to the vibro?

Does anyone have one of these?

post-16188-0-23173500-1409233133_thumb.jpg

Thanks Snolly50

I think that is talking about the bit pieces...I can change those into the piece on the lower left corner of the bits in the photo...

it is a screw pressure fitted piece that holds the shanks of the bits...but that piece has to be inserted or connected to the vibro and I cant seem to figure that out?

It just sits in the vibro really loose and that cant be right? haha

Usually with these types of things, there is some way to tighten the neck of the engraver against the removable collet that holds the bit.

This is typically achieved with either a set screw, or the neck can be manually tightened with a wrench or with your hand, like a keyless chuck on a drill.

I have seen one or two designs which require you to insert the collet first, then insert the bit into it, and this expands the collet to fit tightly in the housing of the tool.

Good luck with this.

Regards,

EDIT: What does the upper knob do on the back?

post-2806-0-23598600-1409249658_thumb.jp

Maybe push/pull on it to insert the collet & bit?

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

you have the main shaft that the chuck is on missing.so you can not attach any of the bits,it is a long rod with spring on it with the chuck on the top

The upper knob just adjusts the vibration

Here are the exploded pics...i have the bit peice and it

Tightens up by hand i can then put it in the vibro

Neck peice but it doesnt tighten up and tbe bit

Peice spins around when vibro is on? Seems a collar

Or something might be missing? If i can fix it

I guess i can send it back it was an ebay purchase

post-16188-0-94362600-1409507990_thumb.jpg

post-16188-0-89533600-1409508160_thumb.jpg

I have the same exact one with the same problem. It is missing a collet. If you go to Lowes or Home depot and look at a Dremel tool you will see how their tools get attached. Unfortunitely, their collets will not fit the Vibro-Tool. I am still looking for another manufacturer of collets to see if I can find one that is close, Otherwise, I will have to make some modifications to the tool.

at a certain point, would it be better just to get an up-to-date engraver? They're not that expensive - I got ours at Fleet Farm (local farm/fleet store in the upper midwest) for $20

080596002909lg.jpg

Are those vibro or rotary?

I have a 25 year old vibro that I like and I use a dremmel for rotary applications like cut-off disks or abrasive grinding.

Are those vibro or rotary?

I have a 25 year old vibro that I like and I use a dremmel for rotary applications like cut-off disks or abrasive grinding.

it's vibro; I don't know what others think, but I've used it on some very hard stuff (Bear Paw nodules...) and it works like a miniature jackhammer. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a diamond tip to replace the carbide tip that came with it; then I'll really go to town...

I use a separate variable speed dremel grinder for grinding

For soft limestone there are these "stone" disks called cut-off disks for the dremmel. They are very thin, about 1mm or less. They cut through steel like butter, and limestone too. They wear down very fast and you buy them in packs of about 25. They come it handy for removing large chucks. You cut a groove under the chunk, then insert a thin blade screwdriver, and then twist, and the chuck pops off.

• I found this Informative 1

For soft limestone there are these "stone" disks called cut-off disks for the dremmel. They are very thin, about 1mm or less. They cut through steel like butter, and limestone too. They wear down very fast and you buy them in packs of about 25. They come it handy for removing large chucks. You cut a groove under the chunk, then insert a thin blade screwdriver, and then twist, and the chuck pops off.

that's good to know - I've found that on softer matrixes that the grinder doesn't work so well; there's something in the mixture of local limestones/dolostones that tends to sort of melt, turns black, and ends up clogging up the grind stone.

that's good to know - I've found that on softer matrixes that the grinder doesn't work so well; there's something in the mixture of local limestones/dolostones that tends to sort of melt, turns black, and ends up clogging up the grind stone.

You get that same problem with the cut-off disks, but there is much less smell and mess, because instead of grinding the whole thing down you cut off large chunks. There is a acrid smoke and the limestone looks smoothly varnished afterwards. You have to plan your cut in advance, because once you start you need to continue in a straight plane to avoid twisting and breaking the disc. You can't cut a curve like a jigsaw.

dang so I bought a broken tool....looks like ebay support to the refund rescue!

It does appear to be missing a critical part. How disappointing for you :(

Somehow, I hope, it will all be for the better, and you'll get an awesome tool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 years later...

On 8/28/2014 at 9:38 AM, RockHound66 said:

I just got a Burgess vibro tool but no instructions...I see how to mount the tips to a piece that goes into the vibro tool but I dont see

how that connects securely to the vibro?

Does anyone have one of these?

post-16188-0-23173500-1409233133_thumb.jpg

I have one I was going to rewire but wanted make sure I did it right if you don't mind and know how to please send me a PM. Please and thank you.

16 hours ago, Coreylee said:

I have one I was going to rewire but wanted make sure I did it right if you don't mind and know how to please send me a PM. Please and thank you.

I've edited out your e-mail address. Bots are always looking for valid email addresses to sell to the Spammers. ;) 

And with thousands of views a day, probably best not to have it out there.  I changed it to Send me a PM.  

The personal messaging system is not accessible to non members. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 months later...

Just got my grand father's,has a 1/4 inch split on top of the ball and back toward main housing, covered with masking tape.  Seems to work OK.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, Coreylee said:

Did you find your answer?

On 9/5/2014 at 0:38 PM, John K said:

it's vibro; I don't know what others think, but I've used it on some very hard stuff (Bear Paw nodules...) and it works like a miniature jackhammer. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a diamond tip to replace the carbide tip that came with it; then I'll really go to town...

I use a separate variable speed dremel grinder for grinding

When I switched from a hammer and a screw to motorized prep, this was the natural step. They are cheap and easily had. Don't run it for more than 20-30 minutes at a time or you will burn up the motor (I did this 3 times). Eventually, I made the switch to pneumatic tools.

And to add to @Ptychodus04's point, it is also recommended not to run it for too long for reasons of safety; namely, developing "white finger." Working with vibration tools too long can result in permanent nerve damage. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer