A Stop On The Road

sharko69

Took a break at a construction pile on my way back from Austin the other day around Salado and made some fun unexpected finds. Lots of shells so just as I was about to leave I found a piece of a large echinoid and a couple feet from the first I found the second. Would love to know if it is worth my while to do any prep. It is interesting how it is.

post-15063-0-16353400-1409280471_thumb.jpg

post-15063-0-55200000-1409280508_thumb.jpg

Ammonite. Any suggestions on how to prep this?

Yes, send it to me and I will take care of it! ;)

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Ammonite. Any suggestions on how to prep this?

Nice finds! Supposing you don't have an air engraver, you'd have to work with hammer and chisels. You know the ammonite has a spiral form, so set the chisels in place accordingly and don't be afraid to hit hard at first. Just make sure the block sits on a sandsack or something similar in order to catch the concussions. I'd start on the side that's visible in the photo. If there's a good separation layer, then the matrix may pop away directly from the fossil. If not then you'll need more patience, smaller chisels, a steel brush and maybe some chemicals, depending on the substance.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Would love to know what this might be?????

Other views might be useful. Could be a drilling core...?

The urchins are nice like they are. I would just use a denture brush and water or hydrogen peroxide.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I bet it is a drilling core. Looked too perfect to be a fossil. I will try the denture brush and peroxide. How big do Echinoidea get? These are the size of a softball. Very big.