Cincinnati Area Stops

FossilDAWG

I'll be driving from Ontario to Georgia in a couple of weeks, and will be passing through or near Cincinnati. It makes little difference to my total driving time if I stop at the St. Leon roadcut, or the Maysville roadcut. My primary hope would be to collect echinoderms, especially edrioasteroids or crinoids, followed closely by complete trilobites. I know all are rare and I'd have to be crazy lucky to find any on a stop of 3 or 4 hours, but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Of course I am also interested in brachiopods, cephalopods, bryozoans, etc but I have collected many of those on previous occasions and I believe I can expect to find them anywhere in the Cincinnatian.

So my question is, having to choose between St. Leon and Maysville, which would be more likely to yield an edrioasteroid, or a crinoid calyx (particularly anything other than Ectenocrinus, as I have several of those), or a complete trilobite? Of course, if anyone were to PM me with a better suggestion I'd be eternally grateful, and would keep the info in strict confidence.

Cheers,

Don

St. Leon gets a lot of people collecting as it is so accessible and well known--Maysville has been "cleaned" up by the Kentucky DOT so you really have to have some time to really be able to access the upper tiers of the roadcut. Also it is about 55 miles from I-275. There are a lot of areas in the Cincy area go to the Dry Dredgers website and check out the past field trip pages.

I like the cut at Brookville North (South?) 39°28'52.46"N, -84°56'54.81"W. Lots of Rafinesquina to be had and some will have Edrios attached. It's north of St. Leon so could be a stop on the way.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

if it rains right before your trip, st. leon.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

PM me Don and I'll give you another site

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks