Peace River Vert - In Situ

Scramblered

My girlfriend and I went out to the Peace River yesterday and decided to do some snorkeling and sifting. While snorkeling along one of the areas that had an exposed limestone bottom I came across this vert sitting in situ. At first glance I thought the bottom half was encased in the limestone, but then I realized it was 'cemented' in place by clay. The water had a decently strong current in this section and was about 4ft deep so I had to take turns holding my breath and excavating it while I anchored my feet downstream to hold me in place. It took about 15minutes of picking the clay apart with my knife until I was able to pop it free. It measures roughly 7in long, 2.5in wide, and 2in thick. Any idea on what this vert is from?

I had my GoPro with me so I was able to get some underwater pictures/film of me removing the vert. It was really neat to find something under the water encased in the clay, maybe next time it'll be a mammoth tooth.

We also found two horse molars, a camel tooth, two small partial megs, and the normal haul of small teeth.

post-6050-0-96551800-1409345698_thumb.jpgpost-6050-0-69769900-1409345701_thumb.pngpost-6050-0-28864500-1409345704_thumb.pngpost-6050-0-08385900-1409345714_thumb.jpg

Nice find. Looks a lot like some pleisiosaur verts that I have although I am not sure if they are found in that area.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Very cool. I'm still waiting for my first trip out to the peace. I love the idea of fossil hunting while diving!

Cool Caleb! I have a number with centrums about that shape that are ID'ed as whale/dolphin, but I don't have any with intact processes. Rained like h**l today, but if the level stays down and you go again, give me a call. I'm going somewhere next week.....either Peace or Santa Fe.

Hope you 2 had a good time.

Those are great underwater pics Caleb! I can't wait till we get the opportunity to dive some of the deeper sections this winter. Hopefully we'll find some untouched spots brimming with the good stuff: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Yeah, I really like the underwater shots as well. Good work and a nice find.

Nice find Caleb! Glad the river was cooperating!It did rain like crazy in spots around here as John mentioned! Regards, Chris

Wow Caleb, great Pics and neat finds..

I went out last Tuesday and while sifting dropped my semi expensive glasses in 4 feet of water. The water where I was standing was NOT clear enough to see the bottom. But after both my fossil buddy and wife said I had no chance, returned with a mask and snorkel and after looking for 30 minutes found them about 8 feet downstream from where I dropped them. YES!!!! Almost better than finding a decent Meg.

Worried about that rain. Not normal to access the Peace in August.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Diving and fossil hunting what a combo. I'm disable so I have time just not the means to get there y'all enjoy

Thank you all. We had a great time. John I will let you know if we're going next week.

Jack - you got really lucky finding your glasses the next day, good work.