JUAN EMMANUEL

Lucky! I don't see complete Paleozoic nautiloids/orthocones very often - with shell... (but I can only see what people show as I don't have access to Paleozoic sites myself!) It might be good to leave one break unglued to show the siphuncle, if it is an aid in identification.. just an idea.

And these sites are small, apparently? Must be thick with stuff, then..

btw what age are these?

Thank you guys!!

Here's the whole complete phragmocone reassembled, with my previous and first complete phragmocone (which is a small one) for comparison:

post-13300-0-56599500-1409697576_thumb.jpg

Lucky! I don't see complete Paleozoic nautiloids/orthocones very often - with shell... (but I can only see what people show as I don't have access to Paleozoic sites myself!) It might be good to leave one break unglued to show the siphuncle, if it is an aid in identification.. just an idea.

For the ID, no need to worry. All the orthocones that anyone can collect in Mimico creek are mostly Treptocerases (90-95% of the time). The next most common nautilioid in Mimico creek after treptoceras would be endoceras. Also if I need to check the siphuncle again, I can just run water over the glued joints and the phragmocone will separate easily. Then I can glue it back again :) when its dry.

And these sites are small, apparently? Must be thick with stuff, then..

Usually they are small. They only spread for several metres (the biggest spread I've encountered is around 30-40 m but they are usually around 3 m to 10 m ). And they are scattered throughout the entire length of the creek and I'm sure back then exposures should've been more common and larger prior to property developments(houses) around the creek, so I often have to hike up or down stream to go to the next site.

Its usually the harder rocks (dolostone/limestone) that has the most fossils but you usually wont encounter more delicate fossils in them like complete trilobites because the harder rocks show a high energy environment while the weathering shale shows a softer one (though I did see a complete flexicalymene preserved on limestone once). Shales are mostly on the emptier side from my perspective.

btw what age are these?

Late Ordovician, 449-443 Mya.

Edited by JUAN EMMANUEL

Late Ordovician, 449-443 Mya.

So Katian or Hirnantian?

Are you using white glue to glue them? I find it comes apart with water but only with difficulty, and I imagine it would be hard to focus it on just one joint without affecting the others. You wouldn't want to do it too many times! (or even once if you can avoid it) - or is there another kind of water-based glue that works better? I believe the kind that dissolves in acetone, which many Forumers recommend but I have not tried, comes apart more easily with the application of acetone than the white stuff does with h2o.

Edited by Wrangellian

So Katian or Hirnantian?

All i know is that it stretches around Ashgill.

Great finds, especially the large complete treptoceras. I hope to find a large complete nautiloid someday. Looks like your hard work really paid off.