My Monster, Monster

fossilized6s

A fellow member and i went out to Mazon today. We decided instead of by land we would travel by sea today. I brought a canoe and it worked fantastic!

We both found some good stuff (worms, ferns, possible insect, shrimp, sea cucumbers, etc). But i think this tops them all.

I was thinking of just posting this in my "Mazon Creek Finds" thread, but i think it deserves it's own.

Thanks for looking!

My 8 3/8" 95% complete Tully Monster!

post-14584-0-47321600-1409461201_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-00016700-1409461215_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-94165200-1409461225_thumb.jpg

Eye bar

post-14584-0-44625800-1409461236_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately when the nod split it didn't split the cleanest, and it left a bunch of random spots on the piece. Does anyone know, could i get this prepped?

And please let me know if you think this is "invert of the month" material, there's only a day left!

Edit: for what it's worth i also found my biggest Jellyfish to date not 10' from the Tully. The Jelly is about 5"x3"

post-14584-0-72673100-1409722095_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s
  • I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I thought the last day was sept 30th?

To hunt Mazon pit 11 ends the 30th, but the FOTM entries end in less then 24hrs.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

That's a hot spot back there where you found that beauty. Its produced dozens of beautiful fossils this year. Including your Tully! I'm glad I got to see it first hand as you tapped the nodule open. What a day! Congrats my friend!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

WooHoo! This is the mazon Creek icon; well done!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys!

I even said to Rob "if this doesn't look like a Tully shaped nod, i don't know what does". Then i split it.

~Charlie~

Congratulations on a great find, Charlie!

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Ah yeah FOTM...lol duh

Ha, i wish! Im really surprised more people didn't find this big guy interesting.

Given it's size and being almost 100% complete it's really very rare. Granted it's not much to look at until it gets prepped and most don't really know anything about the Tully Monster.

~Charlie~

Ha, i wish! Im really surprised more people didn't find this big guy interesting.

Given it's size and being almost 100% complete it's really very rare. Granted it's not much to look at until it gets prepped and most don't really know anything about the Tully Monster.

It wasn’t that I didn’t find this big guy interesting, it was that I was left speechless. This find is too cool!! Congratulations.

Thank you sir! Im pretty jazzed about it. Unfortunately most of my friends think im crazy and have no idea what i am talking about.

~Charlie~

...Unfortunately most of my friends think im crazy and have no idea what i am talking about.

Just 'cause you're excited to have found the impression of some cryptic, slimy critter that no one even knows exactly what it was?

:P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just 'cause you're excited to have found the impression of some cryptic, slimy critter that no one even knows exactly what it was?

:P

Yep, it's not facebook material..... ;)

:yay-smiley-1::envy::fistbump:

I can say no more--I'm speechless (something new for me).

Wow!

-Ken

Thanks Ken. Make sure you get up here next season and I'll bring you to "the spot".

~Charlie~

It's a deal--I'll have to muster all my beginner's luck to see what I can find.

At the moment though I'm still hoping for a pretty fern or two.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice find! Learned something new today! :D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

It's a deal--I'll have to muster all my beginner's luck to see what I can find.

At the moment though I'm still hoping for a pretty fern or two.

Cheers.

-Ken

Well you can find those there too! I found several ferns when i found my Tully.

Nice find! Learned something new today! :D

Thank you! You too! Looks like you're going to take the gold this month.

It was quite the weird creature.

Well that is a real monster! Congrats! Regards, Chris

Thank you sir!

~Charlie~

Spectacular! I havent been on lately, and saw it first in your FOTM entry, so am just getting to it now.

I know to most people it's a funny looking rock but I can see it. I guess you've got all but the claw? I think I even see radial lines in the tail fin??

Good job, Charlie! A famous fossicker once said, "To the motivated, go the spoils."

Make sure you know how much weight that canoe can handle. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Spectacular! I havent been on lately, and saw it first in your FOTM entry, so am just getting to it now.

I know to most people it's a funny looking rock but I can see it. I guess you've got all but the claw? I think I even see radial lines in the tail fin??

Thanks, it's a pretty cool find and very rare nowadays. Im going to have Rob (RCFossils) check it out tonight. I still may have the claw.

Good job, Charlie! A famous fossicker once said, "To the motivated, go the spoils."

Make sure you know how much weight that canoe can handle. :)

Thanks Mike. Yeah, Rob Russell and i have been busting our butts trying to do as much hunting as possible before the park closes to fossil hunting.

Funny you should mention the canoe limit. We sank it last time! Hahaha, just a bit. Live and learn, right!?

~Charlie~