My Monster, Monster

fossilized6s

Thanks Joe. It's my first Tully, and it is a goody!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

• 1 month later...

Nice Tully!!! I feel very lucky to have gotten one of these beauties. Mine also is missing the claw.

My Most Prized fossil

It was found in the 1960's out of pit 11

• 6 months later...

I did a bit. I cleared it with egg whites to bring out the shape. It looks.......different. You can definitely see it, it just looks unnatural. I may take off the "clear coat". But my Tully is packed away right now.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

I guess I overlooked the question the first time, but if there are bits on one side that belong on the other side, have you considered putting glue just on these spots and clamping it back together, then prying it apart again after you're sure the glue is cured? I have done this occasionally with my local fossils but not sure how it would work for the Mazon material so don't count on it. Maybe someone else here has more experience with this idea.

I guess I overlooked the question the first time, but if there are bits on one side that belong on the other side, have you considered putting glue just on these spots and clamping it back together, then prying it apart again after you're sure the glue is cured? I have done this occasionally with my local fossils but not sure how it would work for the Mazon material so don't count on it. Maybe someone else here has more experience with this idea.

I don't plan on doing anymore to this guy. I'm just hoping to find a better preserved one in my future. It's a heck of a start though.

~Charlie~

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/31/2014 at 12:06 AM, fossilized6s said:

A fellow member and i went out to Mazon today. We decided instead of by land we would travel by sea today. I brought a canoe and it worked fantastic!

We both found some good stuff (worms, ferns, possible insect, shrimp, sea cucumbers, etc). But i think this tops them all.

I was thinking of just posting this in my "Mazon Creek Finds" thread, but i think it deserves it's own.

Thanks for looking!

My 8 3/8" 95% complete Tully Monster!

post-14584-0-47321600-1409461201_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-00016700-1409461215_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-94165200-1409461225_thumb.jpg

Eye bar

post-14584-0-44625800-1409461236_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately when the nod split it didn't split the cleanest, and it left a bunch of random spots on the piece. Does anyone know, could i get this prepped?

And please let me know if you think this is "invert of the month" material, there's only a day left!

Edit: for what it's worth i also found my biggest Jellyfish to date not 10' from the Tully. The Jelly is about 5"x3"

post-14584-0-72673100-1409722095_thumb.jpg

Congratulations. I never found one -- not even a fragment.

P.S. -- If you want some big, really BIG Essexella check pit 2 north of the garbage dumpster area in the northeast corner. It was really thick with brush in there in the late 90's early 00's and not much else to find but jellies. Use one of those 3-prong garden tools to scrape around and you should find some beauts. I had a 7.5" from that spot. Tops of the hills seemed best, not much of anything in the valleys. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 4/26/2015 at 7:02 AM, fossilized6s said:

I did a bit. I cleared it with egg whites to bring out the shape. It looks.......different. You can definitely see it, it just looks unnatural. I may take off the "clear coat". But my Tully is packed away right now.

Well, when you can, please take a photo for us.  One of my old friends just moved from Texas to Illinois and hopes to try his hand at Mazon Creek this season.