Deer Bone Dredged Offshore, Nj

jpevahouse

Bought this deer cannon bone (lower front leg) at my favorite shop on the Jersey Shore. The specimen was dredged from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean east of Cape May, NJ by a clam harvesting boat. The bone measures 9 1/2 inches long.

This is the second specimen I have seen found along the same area of the NJ coast. This is the problem inherent in identifying presumably fossil remains of animals still living in the region. Offshore dumping is always a consideration but in this case not likely because the bone is not from a domestic animal.

Two papers one published by the NJ State Museum, the other in a paleontology journal article about Pleistocene fauna of New Jersey do not include deer of any species. Interestng?

post-10605-0-93765800-1409489094_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse

Nice specimen. I'm confused though by the reference to the New England cottontail

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Nice specimen. I'm confused though by the reference to the New England cottontail

Maybe an anachronistic reference to "white-tailed" deer?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think this is a metatarsus, cannon bone from the hind leg, of a deer.

I think you're right. Here's a picture of front and back lower deer leg bones which may look identical to the average, ignorant viewer but upon closer inspection by the expert will display distinct differences.

post-10605-0-06881500-1409523135_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpevahouse

Actually a fuzzy little creature with big buck teeth more often seen in cartoons, a Wabbit!!

Edited by jpevahouse

I just checked the species name given in you citation: "Sylvilagus Transitionalis" is a New England Cottontail rabbit....LINK

I don't think this has anything to do with the metatarsus in question.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just checked the species name given in you citation: "Sylvilagus Transitionalis" is a New England Cottontail rabbit....LINK

I don't think this has anything to do with the metatarsus in question.

My mistake. Paleontologist are unforgiving and without mercy toward the average guy in their writing or speech. They only speak to their scientist collegues and usually in Latin or Greek. "Rabbit" would have been much more helpful than Sylvilagus Transitionalis. But who am I to question?