Central Texas Fossils

Harold

Hi, I am new to this board and looking for a little help. I have lived in the same house for 31 years in central texas, just north of Austin. For all these years I have collected a cigar box full of I guess what are called Sedimentary Concretia? Mixed in with these were some fossils that don't seem to match any of the fossils that are found in central texas. If anyone can Help Identify these it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!post-16343-0-06693700-1409491334_thumb.jpgpost-16343-0-32871400-1409491337_thumb.jpgpost-16343-0-83588900-1409491341_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Wow, that's quite a mix. Some of those may be rusted metal. Have you tested them with a magnet? Many of them look like gastropods (snails) but they may be preserved too poorly to identify well. If you can find your location on the map below and tell us the formation code someone may know what's common from there. Click on the Austin sheet, then you can focus in and out and move the map around with your mouse.

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/

I hate to fall back on general appearance, but how 'bout coprolites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bobwill, Thanks for replying. According to the link you sent, I am in the Kkv area (Del Rio Clay "Grayson Marl" and Georgetown formation) None of the ones shown are magnetic. all of the ones have the same "Rusted" look. Here are more pics of the rest.

post-16343-0-11736600-1409573920_thumb.jpg

post-16343-0-78439900-1409573923_thumb.jpg

post-16343-0-87037000-1409573928_thumb.jpg

post-16343-0-37333000-1409573933_thumb.jpg

post-16343-0-69133400-1409573938_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harold

Ha ha! Ryan, Auspex beat you to it. That occurred to me because of the spiral shape to most, but they look so rough...maybe hard to pass :0

It also seems like so many for one site...marine latrine?

Hopefully someone who collects in the formation will confirm the likelihood of this.

• I found this Informative 1

Harold, if you are collecting in the "Kkv", then you are collecting in the Lower Cretaceous (Albian) Keys Valley member of the Walnut Formation. The younger rocks of the Georgetown Formation are further to your east.

Much of what you have grouped appears to be pyrite or limonite nodules. These nodules often form unusual shapes and they are mistaken for many different things. You can occasionally find areas of the Walnut formation that have gastropods and other fossils preserved with these minerals. The downside is that you often also see many of those fossils have been partially destroyed by the decomposing pyrite.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Bobwill, Thanks for replying. According to the link you sent, I am in the Kkv area (Del Rio Clay "Grayson Marl" and Georgetown formation) None of the ones shown are magnetic. all of the ones have the same "Rusted" look. Here are more pics of the rest.

Pic number one in the second wave of images appears to be poorly formed Staurolite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staurolite