Crinoids Id's Needed Please....

Redlichia

Hello to all,

recently I found a box in the my cellar from a old trade (lately I have not had much time to devote to the fossils) but I haven't found info for this matrix with these two different specimens of crinoids, who gave me this sample said it was from an old collection but with no other more infos.

I ask here please to someone a help for the names (ID's)....in the old label was written only "crinoids, Indiana..."....

Someone can help me please? Maybe are from Indiana and maybe are from Carboniferous , I'm not sure....

Another question please, what are that group of rings that are in the lower part of the calix? Belong to that species of crinoid or is another organism that lived together with the crinoid?

Many thanks for all the possible helps!

Best Regards

Red

post-1409-0-41912000-1409497402_thumb.jpg

post-1409-0-81709200-1409497422_thumb.jpg

post-1409-0-38724700-1409497463_thumb.jpg

post-1409-0-86026400-1409497496_thumb.jpg

post-1409-0-54588000-1409497564_thumb.jpg

->>>>> :)<

The crinoid with the arms is a flexible crinoid (Order Flexibilia), possibly a species of Taxocrinus. The structures wrapped around the stem may be cirri from another crinoid. Cirri were appendages that attached to the stalk of some crinoids and helped them to hold on to things to remain anchored to the sea floor. I don't have a suggestion for crinoid # 2.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for your info's Don, maybe I understand that are from Crawfordsville, Indiana, of Lower Mississippian.

For someone expert here in crinoids, correct me please, the large is a Sarocrinus varsourensis? And the small is a Taxicrinus colletti? I'm not expert of crinoids.... :|

Thanks for helps!

Red

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the slow response. For some reason my email didn't send me a notification that ya messaged me :) the larger crinoid is forbesiocrinus multibrachiatus. You can tell the difference between this species and taxocrinus is the arms are all close together there is no open space between the caylix and arms. Forbesiocrinus post-1179-0-17639000-1414208355_thumb.png the smaller one is not complete or is not completely prepped out. It could be any number of species.

Oh my goodness, Kudos to you both. I spent 2 hours researching links on a caylix I had found to see if I could get an idea of when it was from. My head is still spinning. :P They existed like 600 million yrs ago and still do today... it baffles me.. I assumed mine was from Mississippian (I am in Southwestern Missouri), until I started reading and lost myself.

Very nice pieces by the way!

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."

Ha ha thanks. Ya crinoids can be a bit overwhelming when you first start out. I have been studying crawfordsville for 7 years now and am still overwhelmed when trying to IDsomething I have not seen beforw. There is also very limited resources for some sites or what you do have is so unreliable.

Ha ha thanks. Ya crinoids can be a bit overwhelming when you first start out. I have been studying crawfordsville for 7 years now and am still overwhelmed when trying to IDsomething I have not seen beforw. There is also very limited resources for some sites or what you do have is so unreliable.

That is so true! Before i joined this forum i tried to identify the calyx i had found, and the picture I clicked that resembled it the most took me to a bunch of sketches. :blink: (Don't know where that color photo they showed went, haha)

and then... when I thought i was getting even closer... I realized I had somehow gotten redirected to some fossil site in the UK (not close to Missouri). So, I started the search all over again from the start, and that is when I found this forum. Maybe it was fate :)

- Danielle

"Don't let the world steal your smile, instead, use your smile - to steal the world."

I realized I had somehow gotten redirected to some fossil site in the UK (not close to Missouri).

The US and UK were joined together into one continent at the time of the Carboniferous (Mississippian and Pennsylvanian).

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=time_space&sectionnav=period&period_id=12

This map may be hard to read, but it shows Missouri being in between "Ancestral Rockies" and "Appalachian Mnts." , just south of the equator. To the east of that, and just above the equator you see "Harz Mtns." and that is about where the UK is. So UK is the east coast of the continent and Missouri is the west coast of the same continent.

Many thanks Crinoid Queen!

No problem, no delay.

I could never identify these crinoids without your help!!!! You're definitely the Queen of the Crinoids, many thanks!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the compliments, are very nice crinoids from this amazing and unique area!!!

I try to prep better the Forbesiocrinus sp. (small), so when is finished I show here the new photos, maybe you can help me again for the species? :P

Is true; around the internet is not nearly anything on the area of these crinoids, anyone knows any book or publication (in pdf's would be better) that can represent these wonderful species?

So thank you very much, for all!

:) :) ;)

Cheers,

Red

The US and UK were joined together into one continent at the time of the Carboniferous (Mississippian and Pennsylvanian).

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=time_space&sectionnav=period&period_id=12

This map may be hard to read, but it shows Missouri being in between "Ancestral Rockies" and "Appalachian Mnts." , just south of the equator. To the east of that, and just above the equator you see "Harz Mtns." and that is about where the UK is. So UK is the east coast of the continent and Missouri is the west coast of the same continent.

And here i thought this was getting easier haha ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Crinoid Queen!

No problem, no delay.

I could never identify these crinoids without your help!!!! You're definitely the Queen of the Crinoids, many thanks!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the compliments, are very nice crinoids from this amazing and unique area!!!

I try to prep better the Forbesiocrinus sp. (small), so when is finished I show here the new photos, maybe you can help me again for the species? :P

Is true; around the internet is not nearly anything on the area of these crinoids, anyone knows any book or publication (in pdf's would be better) that can represent these wonderful species?

So thank you very much, for all!

:) :) ;)

Cheers,

Red

no problem always happy to help... unfortunately no there is no collective work at this time to help with identification of crinoids from the crawfordsville area (a problem some one might be working on remedying ;) )