Spinosaurus Tooth

matiks

Hello to all,

I'm new here and I want to show you my spinosaurus tooth...I will appreciate it if someone give an opinion about this tooth and its genuineness.

post-16356-0-82249100-1409518201_thumb.jpgpost-16356-0-72220800-1409518203_thumb.jpgpost-16356-0-01975800-1409518206_thumb.jpgpost-16356-0-18531100-1409518207_thumb.jpg

thanks

looks good to me, no obvious signs of repair or restoration, it isn't made up of two teeth stuck together.

All in all I say well done on a genuine Spinosaur tooth!

Looks like a Spinosaurus Moroccanus to me. What are you looking for in the way of an opinion? It looks complete (tip is missing) other than that, it's seems OK.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the other comments. Looks legit to me from the photos. To be honest, since Spino teeth are relatively common on the market, there are not tons of "fakes" out there. As other have alluded to, though sometimes you will see composites of multiple teeth glued together to make a larger single tooth, and other make have significant repair to them. Yours look ok though from what I can tell. Also because of it's size (small to average), I don't think there would be any real great financial incentive for someone to go through the trouble of actual restoration on this tooth. Perhaps on the really big and rare sized specimens, but usually not on ones this size. Just my 2 cents. Glad to have another person interested in dino teeth aboard.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with the other comments. Looks legit to me from the photos. To be honest, since Spino teeth are relatively common on the market, there are not tons of "fakes" out there. As other have alluded to, though sometimes you will see composites of multiple teeth glued together to make a larger single tooth, and other make have significant repair to them. Yours look ok though from what I can tell. Also because of it's size (small to average), I don't think there would be any real great financial incentive for someone to go through the trouble of actual restoration on this tooth. Perhaps on the really big and rare sized specimens, but usually not on ones this size. Just my 2 cents. Glad to have another person interested in dino teeth aboard.

Dino teeth are also a big favorite of mine. :)

Thank you all for your help!

Yes I know these are quite common but I wasn't sure about other repairs you listed that might have been done.

Well it's nice to have a genuine tooth that comes from such an amazing creature...

Thank you all for your help!

Yes I know these are quite common but I wasn't sure about other repairs you listed that might have been done.

Well it's nice to have a genuine tooth that comes from such an amazing creature...

http://www.fossilera.com/sp/2015/spinosaurus/spinosaurus-maroccanus.jpg and http://img.tarad.com/shop/t/thaifossil/img-lib/spd_20080305214345_b.jpg are examples of composited and restored teeth :). Yours looks like a nice tooth!

Reese

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice, looks quite similar to one I have.

Why do you say that?

Looks like a Spinosaurus Moroccanus to me. What are you looking for in the way of an opinion? It looks complete (tip is missing) other than that, it's seems OK.

Hello,

The taxonomy for Spinosaurus is a bit muddied--S. maroccanus is a nomen dubium (the Egyptian holotype was destroyed, so the species can't be compared). I am not sure if the Moroccan teeth have a proper name as of now.

Reese

It looks to have the same matrix attached as found in the Moroccan phosphate beds around Khourigba.

Hello,

The taxonomy for Spinosaurus is a bit muddied--S. maroccanus is a nomen dubium (the Egyptian holotype was destroyed, so the species can't be compared). I am not sure if the Moroccan teeth have a proper name as of now.

Reese

I think you got the species reversed; the holotype of S. maroccanus is a cervical vertebra at the Canadian Museum of Nature (NMC 50791). Spinosaurus maroccanus was never diagnosed as distinct from S. aegyptiacus based on dental characters but rather on differences in vertebral proportions. It has been demonstrated that vertebral length-height ratios are variable in S. aegyptiacus, and that's why S. maroccanus is often regarded as an ND.

I don't doubt that the tooth in question was from Morocco; however in view of the weak diagnosis offered for S. maroccanus and pending full description of the new Spinosaurus material I don't think it's possible to assign teeth to a particular species with certainty just yet.

Archived