Pepper44

My eight year old daughter found this on Holden Beach, NC yesterday.

I'm guessing it's a fossilized sea urchin? We're homeschoolers and I'd love to get her started researching more about it!

10628028_10101024365375853_8386377535509

I'd also love any tips on where to look for more interesting finds! We haven't seen much of anything besides crushed shells out here. This cool fossil was a random lucky find. :)

This is indeed an urchin, though from a picture I cannot tell whether it is a fossil. Is it heavy and solid?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is Hardouinia, probably H. mortonis. They frequently wash up on Holden beach. They are coming from the Late Cretaceous Peedee Formation.

The pros here have IDed it as an extinct species, and it's very detailed for a beach find. Nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congrats! that is a great find. I'm not familiar with that genus. How does the other side look...are any of the petals of the star still present?

Good luck hunting for more! Regards, Chris

Nice sea urchin. Me too I would like to see the other side. The hole in the middle you can see is the mouth.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg