Keichoursarus Hui 1956

RJB

Hows that for a topic title? If I had not googled it, I would have spelled it keechy a sarus. Ha!! Anyways, a fellow aksed if I would prep one of these out and maybe he would purchase it. Ive got to get at least one prepped out just to take to my first gem and mineral show in 5 or 6 years anyways. I really had no idea just how hard this rock is, but you can see the veins of quartz running through this rock. This is as real as these baby's come! This little critter is also showing the ventral side too, I think? Now that ive done a few hours of air abrasive work on this thing, I can see that I need to get a .011 tip to finish up the small bones on the tail, the little tarcals and carpals and maybe in some other places. I can see this is going to take about another 8 to 10 hours at least. I can now see why folks charge what they charge for these when proffesionaly prepped. Lots of time and lots of concentration to try and tell the difference between the color of the rock and the bone which is very close in the same color!!! Holy cow!!! Im going to try and put in about 5 hours tomorrow and get most of it done.

RB

post-171-1234311806_thumb.jpg

post-171-1234312740_thumb.jpg

Im not sure what happened. This is the 3rd pic thats supposed to be in the first post, and the second photo in the first post is supposed to be the 1st photo? Not sure what happend?

RB

post-171-1234313232_thumb.jpg

Is it at all feasable to expose some of the ventral too? (Not that I'm trying to double your workload, but it could make a really distinctive display, stood up in front of a mirror).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is it at all feasable to expose some of the ventral too? (Not that I'm trying to double your workload, but it could make a really distinctive display, stood up in front of a mirror).

Yo,, Auspex, im not positive, but im purty sure the side showing is the,,, 'ventral' side? Feel free to correct me. Im purty dang new to these things. Easy to prep with the tools I have, but lots and lots of time like most nice fossils!!!

RB

Yo,, Auspex, im not positive, but im purty sure the side showing is the,,, 'ventral' side? Feel free to correct me. Im purty dang new to these things. Easy to prep with the tools I have, but lots and lots of time like most nice fossils!!!

RB

Well, I don't know top from bottom on these things; whichever it is, I thought having the reverse cleaned up just a little would be cool (I've never seen it done).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

looking good so far.... Do you have much experience prepping this type of critter? I would be scared to death. Anyway. the ventral side isn't all bad. There is not as much skull detail from the bottom though. I will be interested to watch it progress. Good work..

very nice work and good date for it to be bought from considering the whole "fossils sold after 1989=property of chinese government" lol

looking good so far.... Do you have much experience prepping this type of critter? I would be scared to death. Anyway. the ventral side isn't all bad. There is not as much skull detail from the bottom though. I will be interested to watch it progress. Good work..

Hey paleoputz,, this is my first attempt at prepping one of these, but nothing to be afraid of. My only concern was how hard the rock may be. I started out with bicarb just to be on the safe side but relized within seconds that it wasnt going to get the job done and went to dolomite, which cuts the rock slowly, but it is working. Im using a .026 tip but can see that I need to try a smaller .011 to try and finish up the smaller bones. Just patience ( i dont have much of that) and time is all it really needs.

RB

very nice work and good date for it to be bought from considering the whole "fossils sold after 1989=property of chinese government" lol

It doesnt bother me in the least that these chineese smuggle fossils out of their country. Those poor folks are just tryin to make a living just like everyone else in this intire world. Its not their fault that hey have a stupid government, like lots of ohter country's too. Its alsways amazed me how a government will let a company litterally destroy hundreds of 1000's of acres of beautiful mother nature with mining and other snarge, but at the same time make it ilegal to dig in the dirt for fossils for the common man!

RB

looking good RB, can't wait to see it in person this weekend! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!

let the good times roll :D

Oh thats right. Company comin over this weekend. Id better get rid of the snarge whiskey and go get some Jack and fresh lemons. Let the good times roll is correct,,,, unless we fall down! Heh,,,heh,,,,

RB

I did a bit more work on this thing early this morning, but then turned my attention to a Notogonius that I need to prep. I was able to expose some ribs and part of the breast on this thing, but I still have a long way to go. I have to say its a bit exciting seeing this thing come out of the rock!!

RB

post-171-1234394134_thumb.jpg

First off nice prep. But i am hoping to start trying some prep of my own. I going to be doing some echinoids and I was going to use just baking soda, but now reading this post i am finding out there are other types of media and apparently tips. So i was wondering if you could tell me what you think would be the best media for a fairly some limestone and tips? Where would i look for different tips and how would i know what the best one would be? and what about the pressure and a regulator? Any advice would be more than I have which is noting. Thanks for your time and effort.

Fossil man

First off nice prep. But i am hoping to start trying some prep of my own. I going to be doing some echinoids and I was going to use just baking soda, but now reading this post i am finding out there are other types of media and apparently tips. So i was wondering if you could tell me what you think would be the best media for a fairly some limestone and tips? Where would i look for different tips and how would i know what the best one would be? and what about the pressure and a regulator? Any advice would be more than I have which is noting. Thanks for your time and effort.

Fossil man

Hey Fossilman. You can use pressure from 40 to 110 psi. Depends on what your working on. I use three different size tips, from .040, .026 and .011, and again it depends on what your working on. I also use 3 different media, bicarb, dolomite and aluminum oxide, with baicarb being the softest, dolomite being second and aluminum oxide being very agressive. There are other media such as cruched walnut shells and glass beads and limestone, but ive not used any of those yet. And right now, working on a Notogoneus from the 18 layer of the Green River Formation, I have mixed about 50/50 bicarb and dolomite and its working fantastic! The best thing you can do for yourself is just get started and get some experience. You wont believe how much fun you will have!!!

RB

I did a bit more work on this thing early this morning, but then turned my attention to a Notogonius that I need to prep. I was able to expose some ribs and part of the breast on this thing, but I still have a long way to go. I have to say its a bit exciting seeing this thing come out of the rock!!

RB

I would be interested in seeing some hi-res pictures when you are done. I have seen a lot of these, some real, some fake, some obviously fake, some - well the jury is still out. Having detailed pics of the real thing would certainly help in recognizing fakery.

Hey Fossilman. You can use pressure from 40 to 110 psi. Depends on what your working on. I use three different size tips, from .040, .026 and .011, and again it depends on what your working on. I also use 3 different media, bicarb, dolomite and aluminum oxide, with baicarb being the softest, dolomite being second and aluminum oxide being very agressive. There are other media such as cruched walnut shells and glass beads and limestone, but ive not used any of those yet. And right now, working on a Notogoneus from the 18 layer of the Green River Formation, I have mixed about 50/50 bicarb and dolomite and its working fantastic! The best thing you can do for yourself is just get started and get some experience. You wont believe how much fun you will have!!!

RB

Thanks RB

I really appreicate the advice. Where do you buy your media and where do you buy your tips from. Thanks for your time and effort.

Fossil man

Thanks RB

I really appreicate the advice. Where do you buy your media and where do you buy your tips from. Thanks for your time and effort.

Fossil man

Hey Fossilman. there must be cheaper places, but a long time ago I bought lots of media and tips from a company called 'Swamblast'. The ony tip I can give you about the tips is, you will most likely use more of the .026 .028 than anything else, but make sure you get a .040. That can do quite a bit of fast work on certain things and save you a ton of time!!!

RB

Archived