Is This A Real Conglomerate Of Bone And Teeth?

gpattillo

I apologize for not having legitimate pictures but I will post more later when I have a computer. This is a large 9 inch conglomeration of shark teeth and bone. It looks fake to me. There is a hint of glue on one of the teeth. I bought this in the market of Peru.

post-0-0-61280400-1409687950_thumb.jpg

Edited by gpattillo

The photo's not the best, but it's good enough to see that you are correct in your suspicion. A do-it-yourself glued assemblage camouflaged with pebbles and sand. You'd never find teeth in that condition in a conglomerate. At least that's my opinion off the cuff. If you didn't pay much for it, then at least you probably got its worth in teeth and bones if you can extricate them unharmed. Acetone dissolves most adhesives.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The matrix in Chile and Peru is one of the worst as far as conglomeration and its always a challenge to get good teeth. It looks like the Great White tooth was added since you can see the glue however beyond that better pictures are needed. Its possible that tooth was added to help the sales process.

Before making the jump to acetone, just try soaking for three hours in plain old water. If the glue is poly vinyl acetate (PVA, white glue), then it will turn white and soft. Then the white, wet glue can be peeled off.

The photo's not the best, but it's good enough to see that you are correct in your suspicion. A do-it-yourself glued assemblage camouflaged with pebbles and sand. You'd never find teeth in that condition in a conglomerate. At least that's my opinion off the cuff. If you didn't pay much for it, then at least you probably got its worth in teeth and bones if you can extricate them unharmed. Acetone dissolves most adhesives.

Incorrect. Well-preserved teeth are found in conglomerates all the time. Generally marine bonebeds are thin and need not form over multiple phases of reworking - some may form in a single event. I've seen well-preserved teeth in all sorts of pebble-rich bonebeds. For more on preservation in marine bonebeds, consult this publication: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0091419

Also, bonebeds with that high density of teeth do exist, and I have seen/read of examples from the Cenomanian of Montana and Sasketchewan, Triassic of UK (Rhaetic bonebeds), Paleocene of Morocco, latest Cretaceous of NZ, and elsewhere. I can't vouch for the genuine-ness of this sample, but similar occurrences have been reported.

Incorrect. Well-preserved teeth are found in conglomerates all the time. Generally marine bonebeds are thin and need not form over multiple phases of reworking - some may form in a single event. I've seen well-preserved teeth in all sorts of pebble-rich bonebeds. For more on preservation in marine bonebeds, consult this publication: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0091419

Also, bonebeds with that high density of teeth do exist, and I have seen/read of examples from the Cenomanian of Montana and Sasketchewan, Triassic of UK (Rhaetic bonebeds), Paleocene of Morocco, latest Cretaceous of NZ, and elsewhere. I can't vouch for the genuine-ness of this sample, but similar occurrences have been reported.

Ooops! :blush: Sorry! Then I'll just retrieve my off the cuff layman's opinion on the subject and bow to the expert on the subject. Thanks for pointing out my error. I've just learned something which I didn't think was possible....man, is that a detailed article!

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/