? Re Deer Lake/gore/pompey Center

FossilDAWG

I'm still planning my upcoming trip, and as many of you have been very helpful with suggestions for stops on the way home I thought I'd ask for some advice regarding the northbound leg. I'll have to make time on that leg of the trip, so I will be able to manage only one stop, and only for an hour or so. With that in mind I've come up with three candidates, and I'm hoping some of you will be able to to offer some advice. I'll be traveling up Interstate 81 for most of the trip. The alternatives are:

Gore, Virginia. Has anyone been there recently, and if so is the outcrop still accessible?

Deer Lake, PA. Has road construction destroyed this site, or is something still available? I'll be passing by the area Friday morning, is it likely that work crews will be active at that time?

Pompey Center, NY. I've been there once before, and found numerous brachiopods, bivalves, and nautiloids. I'd love to come up with a Dipleura trilobite, even a partial would be nice.

Thanks,

Don

Don;

I've been to Deer Lake and Pompey Center and my vote is for Pompey Center, mainly for the biodiversity. I've been there three times and have a nice collection of brachs, bivalves, gastropods, and nautiloid pieces. Last trip I also found a weathered goniatite and in the shale, a complete Bellacartwrightia trilobite. Haven't found any Dipleura at Pompey Center so far. A better site for those is near North Brookfield. Will post you directions if you want them.

If you don't mind posting directions, or if you prefer to PM me, I'd appreciate it. I have a nice Dipleura piece Dave (Shamalama) gave to me, but I've never found any myself.

Don

Don,

Was in Deer Lake area this summer for a wedding. Lots of construction BUT if you travel up the highway a little past Deer Lake pond, look for Beech Street exiting to the East. Directly across the highway to the West is a HUGE area to explore. Found many fossils here. It is not virgin rock outcrops but excavated rock. Still nice finds though. Strange crumbly rock. I have never experienced such hard rock breaking apart so easily. This area is not on google earth so must be new addition.

Don, Having been to both Deer Lake and Pompey Center, I vote for Pompey. Deer Lake is not as good as it was, the road work moved a lot of rock but not as much to be found compared to Pompey Center.

Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The North Brookfield site is about 37 miles east of Pompey. Dipleura parts are all but guaranteed at the quarry. I stopped there for 20 minutes a few Saturdays ago and brought home 3 cephalons and a 5" body without head. Plus some cephalopods and huge bivalves.

Edited by Brewcuse

I have not been to Gore in a long, long time. I've very fond memories of that little mudstone wall.

The highway bypassed it years ago, and you have to take a small side-road to the country store to get to the site.

Check Google Earth.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!