Eoi: Modern Microfaunal Assemblages From Sydney Australia

kauffy

Hey guys,

Just thought id throw this out there as there may be some interest. I have been looking at marine Microfaunal assemblages from the temperate marine sediments around Sydney Australia. There are very diverse sites full of beautiful forams, ostracods, sponge spicules, echinoderms ect. Really spectacular under a microscope...

So if you may be interested let me know and I'm sure I can get some sent your way.

Could be of interest to those looking at comparative paleobiology.

Will get some pics up if people seem interested :)

Cheers chris

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Oz micros; how exotic is that?! Very cool.

Better check into customs regs regarding shipping "dirt" around. I know that several countries do not allow it, except under specific conditions. I'm sure that it can be done, if done correctly within the laws, but samples are apt to 'go missing' if all the right steps are not taken.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You make a great point Auspex. Let me better describe what the samples are; fully washed biogenic sediment full of calcareous animal shells and for the majority quartz/silt matrix. Some countries are quite strict on "dirt", especially Australia. That said I have only ever had issues with sediment coming into Australia when it is not washed or has any sign of plant material present, obviously any potential for seed dispersal is a no-no.

Ill get some pics up to clarify and if anyone is interested we can double check the legalities.

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Speedy transit through customs may rely on proper wording of the manifest. I am sure it can be done, as long as the rules are adhered to. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have worked in a soil lab for many years. Heating the sample to 110 degreesC for a day or so will destroy all living microorganisms present. This is the method required by the USDA before disposing of any foreign soils. There are sure plenty of examples of foreign critters, large and small, causing serious problems in the environment worldwide.

^ that is the method I use. Soak in H2O2, wash and then sun dry, then bake at 250 degrees F for 30 min. Include a note to customs saying that this matrix was sterilized with this method to eradicate all living flora and fauna. I've had no problems thus far

Edited by silverphoenix