Fossil?

fossils4fun

...Remember a lot of people who come here only have a vague idea of what is going on, so give a technical explanation for one audience and then "common man" explanation for everybody else...

My explanation wasn't technical at all. The fact that Cruziana ranged well into the Mesozoic reminds us that ichnofossils are always difficult to ascribe to a specific maker.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Scott, good stuff as always! I was wondering and wandering as I do quite often....Any comments/mention from the sedimentologist on what the polished circular area might have been caused by? I've seen some interesting large bubbling in algal mats.....Regards, Chris

Hi Chris,

Conchoidal fracture is the answer on the circular feature. He also added an observation that the Kinneyia is strongly silicified.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 months later...

It looks like a Microbial Induced Sedimentary Structure to me. Microbial wrinkles called Kinneyia

It looks like a Microbial Induced Sedimentary Structure to me. Microbial wrinkles called Kinneyia

Better late than never! :P
It always helps to check the entire thread as this ID was already answered a few months ago back on the second page of this thread (post number 32).

• 2 years later...