Pyritized Or Non-Pyritized Ammonites

Melissawow

I don't think there's any way to tell for sure... that's a monochrome photograph. The ammonite beds on the Yorkshire coast most usually yield specimens which are mud-infilled or pyrite-preserved, but also calcite preservation. Those look shinier than typical mud-infilled material (unless they've been polished up) but could be pyritized or calcited.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I really don't think you could be sure. Here's some of my UK examples converted to greyscale. Don't scroll down if you want to test your observation skills... I have put the original colour pictures below

GREYSCALES:

post-6208-0-37816200-1410907745_thumb.jpgpost-6208-0-28028400-1410907780_thumb.jpg

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

COLOUR:

post-6208-0-57061100-1410907855_thumb.jpgpost-6208-0-75846700-1410907877_thumb.jpg

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

I don't think the photo that Melissa posted is black and white photography. It looks like those are the actual colors of the piece. Grey matrix and dark grey ammonites sitting on a really light grey table. The low (dim) lighting doesn't help matters either.

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I don't think the photo that Melissa posted is black and white photography. It looks like those are the actual colors of the piece. Grey matrix and dark grey ammonites sitting on a really light grey table. The low (dim) lighting doesn't help matters either.

Thanks Caldigger

I took a second look on a rather better/larger screen than previously and also downloaded the picture this time. You're quite right... it is a colour image, not greyscale. It's difficult to say how accurate the representation is in the photographs but I do now see a faint coppery tinge in places and my revised view would be that the preservation is essentially calcited mud with weak areas of pyritization.

Roger