Mineral Wells Trip This Sunday 09/14

hashemdbouk

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to plan this for a while as I've wanted to go to Mineral Wells Fossil Park (http://www.mineralwellsfossilpark.com).

My plan is to be there around 8:30 am or so, get a few hours done before the sun goes crazy. Afterwards, if anyone knows good locations, we can visit those, otherwise we can call it a day!

If anyone is interested in meeting up that day, let me know! The more the merrier.

Cheers,

Hashem

The road cut at Union Hill is nearby as is Jacksboro.

thanks! do you have any coordinates/directions as to where to search at those 2 locations? I'm still relatively new to Texas and fossil hunting, so if you can send me any address or directions to the fossil sites, i would greatly appreciate it!

^me too, I'd like to visit those sites soon, but it's a really far drive for me so I want to make sure to hit everything at once

I know the Lake Jacksboro site. I met a few members there back in March after I visited the Mineral Wells site for the first time. I do believe there is a thread here that has a map on it. It is what I used to get there.

Must add that the walk from the parking lot to the site at Lake Jacksboro feels like a mile rather than the 1/3. Especially walking back with your finds.

Texas weather is going to take a sharp right turn this weekend. be prepared for wet and cooler. but then around here cool means mid eighties. darn i wish i could join yall up there. good luck and i look forward to next week's posts.

Oh boy! Ive never been out there either....anywhere out there! perhaps its now time to take a trip! :-)
Ill see what I can do and get back on here with an update as to whether I can go or not...

Thanks for the invite!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

jeepinthemud, try to make it, the more the merrier. Mineral Wells Park has been on my bucket list, so even if that's the only location it would be fun, but i'm sure we can try to go elsewhere.

erose, i'll be sure to post pics of finds!

Must add that the walk from the parking lot to the site at Lake Jacksboro feels like a mile rather than the 1/3. Especially walking back with your finds.

That's because it is actually 3/4 miles all the way to the bank. More like 1/2 mile to the flat area with all the conularids. The walk back is actually not so bad. The fossils are all small, and there's no steep creek-bank to climb :)

I think I will be there on Sunday morning! I am looking forward to it!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Hashem,

I do not think I will make it.

Last time I went I only found tiny pieces of crinoids. [Mineral Wells fossil park]

The Jacksboro site is too far of a walk for me. Just too much for me to tolerate.

Hope we can get together some other time.

Yall have a good time.

Jess B.

I do not think I will make it.

Last time I went I only found tiny pieces of crinoids. [Mineral Wells fossil park]

The Jacksboro site is too far of a walk for me. Just too much for me to tolerate.

Hope we can get together some other time.

Sorry to hear that Jessy, but I understand.

I will get in touch soon to try and plan out some trip!

take care, and all the best!

Hashem

That's because it is actually 3/4 miles all the way to the bank. More like 1/2 mile to the flat area with all the conularids. The walk back is actually not so bad. The fossils are all small, and there's no steep creek-bank to climb :)

True, we did have rain to push us along and having Connor carry the heavy stuff was a load off my mind.