Need Education

Whit

I am retired and interested in taking a month vacation in a year or so doing nothing but fossil, and rock hounding in the western states. (Nevada, Utah, Arizona)

With no real education, or being part of any organized club, I am wondering what classes would be good to take at a community college.

A trip to North Carolina was enough to teach me that I didn't recognize what I was picking up. :blush:

Whit

The real university is out there, in the field. Any enterprise in learning is easier if you work outward from what you know into what you don't; you need a basis for comparison. I'd start with well-known sites with well-known fauna/flora to get grounded; the similar-but-different material will then be easier to recognize and ID. No amount of book-learning can give you that kind of grounding. Visiting museum displays can be a big help, too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am retired and interested in taking a month vacation in a year or so doing nothing but fossil, and rock hounding in the western states. (Nevada, Utah, Arizona)

With no real education, or being part of any organized club, I am wondering what classes would be good to take at a community college.

A trip to North Carolina was enough to teach me that I didn't recognize what I was picking up. :blush:

Whit

Consider volunteering to do something with the collections at a large museum.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The real university is out there, in the field. Any enterprise in learning is easier if you work outward from what you know into what you don't; you need a basis for comparison. I'd start with well-known sites with well-known fauna/flora to get grounded; the similar-but-different material will then be easier to recognize and ID. No amount of book-learning can give you that kind of grounding. Visiting museum displays can be a big help, too.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off book learning. I certainly agree that there is much to learnt from experience, but reading some introductory material would certainly be a good starting point. For the beginning palaeontologist, there is a lot of good literature available; covering fossilisation, the basic fossils that you'll be finding, where they can be found etc. You'll learn far faster in the field if you have some background knowledge under your belt. I'm also certain that you'll be more likely to recognise things that you might have let slip.

Guest solius symbiosus
You'll learn far faster in the field if you have some background knowledge under your belt. I'm also certain that you'll be more likely to recognise things that you might have let slip.

Absolutely! Some knowledge of basic geology is fundamental to understanding paleontology, and studying it in the field is one of the easiest ways to learn. There are several publishers out there that make "road side geology" handbooks. Though, you might want to start by reading a physical geology text.

The AAPG has several offerings: http://bookstore.aapg.org/

I would recommend contacting your state geological survey, they (probably) have wonderful publications describing the geology/fossils of your area, usually written for an educated non-professional. Also, look in the bibliography of technical papers you may come across, there will be listings of dozens of sources that could be an introduction to something that interests you.

As far as college classes, I would recommend getting a degree in chemistry. It is the one true major that leads to a zen understanding of all things.

(Joke from a previous thread- I have a bs in chem)

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Absolutely! Some knowledge of basic geology is fundamental to understanding paleontology, and studying it in the field is one of the easiest ways to learn. There are several publishers out there that make "road side geology" handbooks. Though, you might want to start by reading a physical geology text.

The AAPG has several offerings: http://bookstore.aapg.org/

There are of course books that are written as introductions to palaeontology; covering both biological and geological aspects.

Hi there, I myself found that a good book is one of the best ways to learn.

The Roadside Geology of Arizona (isbn 0-87842-147-5, Mountain Press Publishing c.)

They have a good selection of books out there.

Also, if you just want a general intro to fossils and paleontology, even read something by Bob Bakker or Jack Horner or Michael Novacek - these books not only give you an introduction to what paleontological fieldwork entails, but also how other aspects of paleontology are done (e.g. research, the application of fossils to the study of evolution, etc.). These books are what I would consider to be a crash course in general paleontology.

Bobby

For a new fossil collector, the view across the chasm between finding neat stuff to collect & admire and "paleontological fieldwork" is daunting. Nonetheless, stepping across it with even one mud-covered boot will help you understand how to find fossils and heighten your appreciation of both your quarry and the process. It's all fun! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!