A Couple Of Small Chunks Of Bone

Plantguy

Hey Gang, looking for some more ID help. In my latest trip I picked up a few chunks of bone and some sharkteeth and I'm wondering if any of you recognize the two partial bones? Manatee County, Florida, probably Plio-Pleistocene.

post-1240-0-18526600-1410495237_thumb.jpg

Unknown#1

post-1240-0-27925600-1410495273_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-55048900-1410495256_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-47190700-1410495266_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-25787000-1410495250_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

Your first "Y" shaped piece looks like a well worn vertebrae spine. It's a pretty big one, but im not sure who it belonged to.

Im not sure about the others.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Don't you have any easy ones, Chris? :o I think the first bone is the proximal head of a fibula. Beyond that, it is just too obscure for me.

The second appears to be crocodilian . . . from the back of the skull or mandible.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for the looks and the ideas to consider....I'm way out of my element with vertebrates and I know I'm not giving you all much to work with! If everyone would stop leaving me the scraps I'd be doing a bit better.

Hi Harry, in amongst the crumbs I did find this more complete group in the last week. I know you do horse...can you confirm posterior Equus in the lower left? and what about Tigers. The one tooth in top right looks a bit different....

post-1240-0-47655400-1410515524_thumb.jpg

EDIT trying to fix the photo file that is apparently corrupt and not viewing correctly---IRFANVIEW aint happy with me and is for some reason distorting colors...Just reinstalled...Hope this works...nope....hmmm...

Well, this problem is apparently getting worse...one more try with some other photos

post-1240-0-47546700-1410529386_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-36759300-1410530821_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

No, I don't see the bilateral symmetry, Bobby.

Chris . . . I believe that the tooth is a right p2 m3 from Equus. See pp.297 in Hulbert's book.

Edited by Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

The first bone looks like a well worn vertebrae with a later break. The horse molar is indeed the lower molar of a horse but I'm not so sure it's equus, possibly earlier. The lower teeth can be harder to ID than the upper molars with more distinct enamel ridges. Reference attached image of Miocene horse tooth

post-10605-0-27245200-1410539623_thumb.jpeg

Gallery image courtesy of Harry Pristis

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Chris , I have a couple pieces of gator mandible similar to the piece you found. Remind me next time we're out and I'll bring them to compare: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Your shark tooth is a Galeocerdo mayumbensis

Thanks troodon! Jeff was thinking the same thing earlier even with the poor picture I sent to him! Poor guy, I bother him with quite a bit of unidentifiable fragments. Thanks to you both! Regards, Chris

Hey Chris , I have a couple pieces of gator mandible similar to the piece you found. Remind me next time we're out and I'll bring them to compare: )

Thanks Jeff, will do...maybe next week we'll get together and I can compare....creek up this way?? Regards, Chris

Isn't the top bilaterally symmetrical bone a sirenian neural arch with broken spine?

Chris . . . I believe that the tooth is a right p2 from Equus. See pp.297 in Hulbert's book.

Bobby/Harry, I tried to take some shots of the ends. Wish we had that 3d modeling tools shown at the TB fossil club mtg last week and could use that to pivot this thing around in space. The bone is pretty beaten up but I agree I dont think there is symmetry there.

post-1240-0-26384600-1410544635_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-25076100-1410544649_thumb.jpg

The first bone looks like a well worn vertebrae with a later break. The horse molar is indeed the lower molar of a horse but I'm not so sure it's equus, possibly earlier. The lower teeth can be harder to ID than the upper molars with more distinct enamel ridges. Reference attached image of Miocene horse tooth

I'll, have to get Hulburt's book soon....have been putting it off and will compare with your photo....

Thanks again guys! Regards, Chris

You have to have Hulbert's book . . . sell a few fossils, buy a used copy (if you can find one), but get one. And, when you have your own copy, you will see that your p2 m3 Equus tooth doesn't compare well with an m3 Calippus tooth.

Edited by Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

You have to have Hulbert's book . . . sell a few fossils, buy a used copy (if you can find one), but get one. And, when you have your own copy, you will see that your p2 Equus tooth doesn't compare well with an m3 Calippus tooth.

Thanks Harry, will do so. Earlier in the year at the TB club's mtg I was asking for advice for a dweeb like myself starting out with verts what to get started with and I purchased Frank A Kocsis Jr's " Vertebrate Fossils: A Neophyte's Guide". I think it has served me well and has lots of so so to decent pictures and I've learned alot but having a better reference would help more. Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris, I'll definitely make it up there to "help" you rid that creek of those pesky fossils lol :)

Edited by jcbshark

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris . . . I believe that the tooth is a right p2 from Equus. See pp.297 in Hulbert's book.

Hi Harry, thanks. I used my birthday money and the book is on its way--thanks for the recommendation.

Well, against better judgement I went back to the creek in spite of heavy rains and jumped into the same hole I was in when I found this horse tooth. The water was a bit deeper to say the least and dark but I came away with another horse tooth. Here are both in photos together and the one on the bottom is the new tooth.

post-1240-0-64914100-1411336568_thumb.jpg

I think based on your gallery photos its a deciduous tooth? Is it possible to determine its position as well? The roots appear to have been absorbed or broken off---can a age of the animal be determined by seeing this tooth? The preservation colors and lack of wear seem to be very similar in each tooth at least to me....It would certainly be nice to see them in the same jaw but is there a remote chance based on their condition and type that they could be from the same animal?

I think these are from the opposite ends of the tooth row . . . the newest find appears to be a p2 while the earlier find (above) is an m3. My bad in the earlier mis-call.

Good image (just a bit too much thumb).

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

I think these are from the opposite ends of the tooth row . . . the newest find appears to be a p2 while the earlier find (above) is an m3. My bad in the earlier mis-call.

Good image (just a bit too much thumb).

Thanks Harry--good point, I'll try to watch the thumbs next time!

Thanks again Harry, I guess I need to go back into the hole to see if I can find some more of that critter when the water goes down a bit...

Regards, Chris