Things Don't Always Turn Out The Way You Imagined...

Ludwigia

...as was the case with the preparation of this multiblock which I'm about to present. I hope I'm not starting to bore you all with yet again another one with the same fauna from the Jurassic Aalenian layers in the Wutach Valley, but that's about the only productive site at the moment in my area. This was a pretty tricky preparation which probably took over 20 hours, although I didn't have my stopwatch running.

A couple of weeks ago I lugged a large block and 2 other smaller pieces which belonged to the puzzle back up the hill to the car. The next day I had a closer look at it in the workshop and it looked very promising.

post-2384-0-54765100-1410646599_thumb.jpg

Particularly on the right hand side there are a good number of ammonites waiting to be freed from captivity. There are also some in the smaller blocks above left and right which need to be glued back together as can be seen in the lateral views below. For a size reference, the tiles measure 34cm. across.

post-2384-0-97650600-1410646917_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-05818300-1410646942_thumb.jpg

Even the back view showed signs of promise. I was starting to get excited, but at the same time was wondering where and how to start, since the fossils appeared to be partially layered on top of each other. Which side to work from? Front or back? Both at the same time?

post-2384-0-97023800-1410647140_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I decided that the first thing to do was to get the ammonite bits out of the smaller stones and see if they were worth saving. I'd keep thinking about the rest in the meantime. I managed to get them out and to my satisfaction. The photo shows them in position but not yet glued on, since I had decided to start on the big block and didn't want to disturb them with the rough work coming up. By the way, the main work is being done with a fine pointed and a rough flat chisel in the air pens.

post-2384-0-48937700-1410647680_thumb.jpg

I figured the best approach to start with on the big block was at the top, where the edges of the ammonites could be clearly seen. Here's how it looked after a while of chiseling away. Another one turned up unexpectedly on the left as well, but I stabbed it in the side before I realized it was there.

post-2384-0-86989700-1410647908_thumb.jpg

Up to that point, everything was looking just dandy, but after another hour's work came the let-down....all of the large ammos I'd been working at turned out to be duds. All partials not worth keeping :( .

post-2384-0-77645000-1410648205_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ludwigia

What now? Time for plan B. Dig down deeper in the hopes of finding something. After a couple of hours of careful excavating however, I had to accept the fact that there really wasn't much more there, so I started working on the remaining ones at the top in the hopes that at least they were ok. Thank goodness that turned out to be the case. I'd started using the abrader more often now in order to locate the shells without injuring them.

post-2384-0-36669500-1410648981_thumb.jpg

It was starting to look like I'd be able to make something good out of this now, but the block with nothing at the bottom was much too large, so I cut off about 2 thirds of it with my diamond blade, cleaned up the rest of the ammos some more and finally glued on the ones at the top left and right.

post-2384-0-37114600-1410649186_thumb.jpg

Now was the time to work mostly with the abrader getting the details out. Even the back side was starting to look ok and a few intact bivalves were starting to show up there.

post-2384-0-17404600-1410649515_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-97139900-1410649539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ludwigia

Now it was just about done. I gave both sides another onceover with the abrader, this time with a bit more power over the matrix and exposed a few more bivalves. Then I filled in the gaps with stone meal and gave the fossils all a coat of beeswax Rember. Here's the final product. Not quite the way I'd figured at the outset, but still good enough to find a place on the display shelf :) . All ammonites are variations of Ancolioceras opalinoides and the bivalves are mostly Myophorella formosa. The block measures 27x14x5cm.

post-2384-0-56066600-1410650150_thumb.jpgpost-2384-0-58214800-1410650172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ludwigia

Look at the keels on those things! Very good outcome :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I love these prep progress reports, from start to finish... Wow!! Thanks for sharing

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Amazing prep, like opening a present, very nice -----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Yes, thank you for the series of photos. For us people who don't do prep to this degree, it seems amazing that these rocks contain so much and it just needs to be released.

Yes, thank you for the series of photos. For us people who don't do prep to this degree, it seems amazing that these rocks contain so much and it just needs to be released.

Thanks. I still think back sometimes to the days before I got my equipment and was doing everything by hand. I couldn't prep even the half of what I'm able to do now and a lot of things got damaged beyond repair or weren't even noticed. A whole new world opened up with the air pressure.

I would be proud to display that. You can "bore" us with preps like this anytime. Thanks!

Thanks very much. Ok then, I'll keep'em coming. :)

Wonderful prep job, Roger.

Excellent find and story behind it.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We're totally bored. Please send all future unprepped specimens directly to me!!! HA! Very nice!

Nice to get an honest comment here finally ;) I'm afraid if I send them to you, you might end up disturbing the neighbors before and after bank hours.