Fossil Or Weird Rock Thing?

westiesroo

I'm pretty sure it's just some kind of weird rock thing but I have been hanging on to it just in case I could find someone that could tell me for sure. I know it is hard to tell from bad pictures but here it is. I thought it was an egg baby...

post-16507-0-47811800-1410907219_thumb.jpg

post-16507-0-56701600-1410907243_thumb.jpg

post-16507-0-55578000-1410907273_thumb.jpg

Looked like a rock to me until I saw the third picture from the left. I've never seen anything like that before. Location of the find?

...I'm back.

This is the other side...Black Canyon City AZ. I live in the rural desert and have a natural wash that runs through the property. I'm going to try and send a picture of the other side...

post-16507-0-07074500-1410908189_thumb.jpg

If you are asking me about the age I don't even know what it is. I wish I could tell you something about it other then where I found it.

Oh-oh... looks like a job for the Way-Back Time Machine. Good thing I just changed the oil in this thing...

Please adjust your goggles and hold on to the hand rail. Arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, please.

Where on this time map did you find this object?

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=time_space&sectionnav=state&name=Arizona

Black Canyon City, AZ appears to sit in the Precambrian area of the state. If it's Precambrian it could only be algae if it's a fossil.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Yep, Looks like I fall on the Precambrian brown at 505 but I wish I had a more accurate map because it varies so much between colors on the map where I am.

That was a pretty fun ride!

That limestone you have looks marine and it doesn't look metamorphosized enough to be as old as precambrian. It is rounded, and I think it was either brought to were you found it, or it was carried by water. Objects like that are called a "float". It would be difficult to say what time period it came from.

I don't see any fossils that I'm familiar with in your specimen. Those hard brown parts of it look like chert, a mineral deposit that is commonly found in limestone. The chert could be a sign of some fossil, or there could be something I missed, but I think it is just a marine deposit of limestone.

Your area is very geologically confusing, because of the uplift and erosion has taken old strata and lifted it up and created a mess of the past 600 million years, then mixed it around and flowed it out into fairly recent alluvial deposits.

Maybe this isn't a fossil, but they do occur in your area, so keep looking!

http://www.paleoportal.org/index.php?globalnav=fossil_gallery&sectionnav=search&period_id=&state_id=16

It is geologically confusing. I do find most of the weird stuff in the little ravine out front and the dry riverbed out back.

I will keep looking and be back if I think I have found anything.

Thank you so much for your help!

Archived