Crocodile?

SoreBack

Hello Folks,

This came out of formation in a NJ Eocene/Miocene stream and I think it's a croc tooth but I don't have enough experience with these teeth to be positive.

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

post-6302-0-36787400-1410913777_thumb.jpg

post-6302-0-76161700-1410913798_thumb.jpg

Can you shoot it looking down the crown? I know there's no Cretaceous there but this looks a lot more like a mosasaur tooth to me than a croc. I have found Tertiary teeth in the Cretaceous brooks of NJ and wouldn't at all be surprised if sloppy collectors had also done the opposite.

Hi Carl,

I'll take a photo tonight. My wife found a large Carcharias cuspidata in Ramanessin Brook so I understand the frustration of sloppy or intentional contamination. This did come from formation though, not from stream gravels.

Steve

Edited by SoreBack

This tooth came out of a location that doesn't have any known cretaceous deposits, just Eocene and Miocene. I have seen other crocodilian teeth from the location but they are more elongate and came from stream gravel so they are more worn than this tooth.

out of the contact lag? same area we have been discussing? thats the only spot where i could imagine it getting iron stained and yet being found in formation. it could also be a squalodon crown. i was going with Croc at first but after looking at my few squalodon crowns, im not so sure. although i am also not so sure about some of mine.

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Same area. A very nice Peccary crown came from the same 10 square feet the same day as this tooth. I thought it might be whale too but I have so little experience with them I was hesitant to call it squalodon. I do have two worn mammal roots from gravel downstream of where this was found. I also have a definite whale crown fragment from the lag deposit.

Could you post a photo of the peccary tooth. Peccary is an animal with little or no documented finds in NJ. Peccary and domestic pig molars are very similar.

Same area. A very nice Peccary crown came from the same 10 square feet the same day as this tooth. I thought it might be whale too but I have so little experience with them I was hesitant to call it squalodon. I do have two worn mammal roots from gravel downstream of where this was found. I also have a definite whale crown fragment from the lag deposit.

This is the only photo I have available right now. I can take more tonight. It's approximately .75"

post-6302-0-27474600-1411044864_thumb.jpg

Edited by SoreBack

Gorgeous stuff, there. I can't actually say croc, mosasaur (I know Cret doesn't outcrop there, but as I said above...), or whale. Whatever it winds up being, it's very cool. And that peccary tooth is just fantastic.

Carl, the area that you picked that perfect posterior chub off my spoil pile last year ;)

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Thanks Carl. My wife and I started in Big Brook in 2009 with spaghetti strainers. We both fell in love with the hobby and have met some really nice people and found some "way cool" stuff! Our collection is paltry when compared to the collections of at least a couple people we know.

Edited by SoreBack

Thanks Carl. My wife and I started in Big Brook in 2009 with spaghetti strainers. We both fell in love with the hobby and have met some really nice people and found some "way cool" stuff! Our collection is paltry to at least a couple people we know.

Every collection started out small. And every large collection started out with that passion.

That sure looks like a peccary molar, lower jaw! Another rare find to show Dr Parris. There were two common species of peccary, Mylohyus and Platygonus. Mylohyus had rounded low crests, Platygonus has high sharpe crests which look like miniature mastodon teeth. Yours looks like Mylohyus. Here's a link to the site where I got this info:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/vertpaleo/resources/fossil_id/art_id.htm

This is the only photo I have available right now. I can take more tonight. It's approximately .75"

Thank you for the link. It's definitely helpful. I'll try to get some profile pics done. Unexpected company sidetracked me last night.

Your horse and peccary bones are particularly rare post glacial NJ finds. You mention finding other bones in the vicinity. Could you post photos? In what area of the state were the bones found?

Edited by jpevahouse