Whale Chine Access- Isle Of Wight

Gideon

I'm lucky enough to be visiting the Isle of Wight in a few weeks, and aim to get a few days fossil collecting on the South West coast.

Just seeing if anyone can advise as to the chances of getting down Whale Chine at the moment.

I know the council closed the path many years ago, and since then access seems to have become much more tricky.

In March this year I got to the beach via the neighboring Shepherds Chine, but this is quite a trek. Looking at Whale Chine from beach level I just couldnt see any way of getting up, especially if fortunate enough to have found one of the large ammonites the place is famous for.

Just wondering if other people have attempted this climb recently, and how treacherous it is?

Thanks in advance.

post-14867-0-94576800-1410947830_thumb.jpg

It’s some years since I visited and the steps always looked a bit iffy… but without the steps I think you have no chance for direct access. The Isle of Wight Council provides information about current status of rights of way here:

http://www.iwight.com/Residents/Environment-Planning-and-Waste/Rights-of-Way/Public-Rights-of-Way/Current-Closures

Current advice is: “Public Footpath C34 (path/steps in Whale Chine to the beach) are permanently closed under a Traffic Regulation Order due on going landslips. No alternative route.”

I understood that Shepherd’s Chine access was also closed this year, but it’s not mentioned on the website, so perhaps that was temporary and it’s open again now? Even if that’s the case, things could change suddenly if we get a bout of heavy rain. We have members on the IOW, so I’m sure there must be someone who could give you an “on-the -ground” view about your possibilities. This may also be helpful (but the warnings about time limits imposed by the tides are not to be taken lightly):

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/my-isle-of-wight/blogs/i-wish-whale-chine/

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thanks for the links guys.

They make interesting reading.

It's looking more and more unlikely access is possible, which is a great shame for such an interesting stretch of coast.

If anyone is aware of there being a route down, please do let me know though. I won't blame them if I end up falling to my death.

Thanks

• 2 years later...