Juvenile Xiphactinus?

Ptychodus04

I collected this jumbled up mess of bone fragments at the very bottom of the Kamp Ranch Member, Arcadia Park Formation, Eagle Ford Group in Lewisville, TX. I almost opted out of picking up the bone scraps, small, fragmented, you know how it goes. Then I saw the teeth. I believe it is a juvenile Xiphactinus. I would like to solicit the opinions of the greater collective intelligence on this forum. The files are big (even resized) so... I will post additional pics as replies to this post.

post-4550-0-07916100-1410982781_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking it could be a partial Saurodon skull. The uniform peg-like teeth are indicative of that fish.

I was lucky enough to come across the remains of a baby Xiphactinus last year. Here is a pic:

post-6661-0-68533100-1410983383_thumb.jpg

-Kris(KansasFossilHunter)

It's definitely not a Xiphactinus. Their teeth are all different sizes.

I don't believe it's a Saurodon -- their teeth are more blade like, and the skull and jaws don't look the correct shape.

I think you have an Icthyodectes. It's a fish often confused with Xiphactinus, and other than the skull, there's not a lot to tell them apart. Ichthyodectes teeth are uniform in size, and peg like.

http://oceansofkansas.com/FossilFish/vp-1706c.jpg

Icthyodectys is related to Xiphactinus but is smaller and with the peg teeth, that could be a candidate.

Icthyodectys is related to Xiphactinus but is smaller and with the peg teeth, that could be a candidate.

Ha! Beat you by THAT much! :D

Archived