Unknown Id: Pliocene-Miocene Fossil Egg?

aeon.rocks

Found in the miocene-pliocene beds of NE Slovenia (EU). Measures about 4,5 cm (1.8 inch) across! No similar recods/finds...

Could be just a very interesting cracked nodule? In my opinion it looks very much fossilized eggs (croc, turtle, snake...) alike... Any comments, IDs, idea?

post-0-0-87770700-1411079326_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-97628200-1411079327_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-17919100-1411079329_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-37615500-1411079330_thumb.jpgpost-0-0-36442200-1411079331_thumb.jpg

Any info appreciated! Thank you!

My opinion is that it is not an egg, because:

>The purported 'shell' is too thick, and lacks any surface texture (except for the crazing).

>The shape is rather eccentric, even allowing for deformation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex it is not an egg, but it may be the closest a pseudo fossil egg has come to looking real in a long time.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thank you! Interesting, I haven`t tought about purported shell thickness, a very good argument! How thick would it normally be on such small specimen? 1mm? Does it depend on the species? Not sure however how thick or thin this thing is, size can vary on photos and the specimen looks larger on photos as it is in hand (45 mm). This is not my find however, all I have seen for now are these photos, so I hope to get a chance to inspect it in hand and under magnification to see if there is any micro surface texture.

Regarding the shape - i think it is pretty close, not all eggs are round and deformations are not uncommon in case of fossil eggs. The area in the last photo even reminds on a "hatch window" imho...

Will see! It is amazing though, in case this is a pseudo fossil! Really close, at least from photos!

Any further inputs are welcome! Thank you!!

Edited by aeon.rocks