Suggestions For Cataloging Shark Teeth?

fossilover

I would like to start cataloging the shark teeth fossils I have, but I don't know where to begin. First off, I know I need to find out which sharks they came from, but when I start looking through all the different websites and books I can't decide what they are - alot of them look so similar and I would hate to misidentify them. Also, how should I go about marking them without ruining them?

There's no need to mark them. What I would do it put all the same species into a single ziplock bag or container and label that. Extra special specimens can be put into a suitable labeled container all by themselves.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I label all fossils with a site number followed by an acquisition number.

See THIS thread.

I actually just started reading this thread before I saw your post. I got some usefull information from there and y'alls input will be of good use, too! Thanks so much!!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I just read this and I feel for you on trying to ID shark teeth. I too have the same problem... too many of them look alike. And to compound things further, the "shark teeth experts" call identical teeth different things based only upon their ages, and totally different looking teeth can come from the same shark depending upon their location within the shark's mouth. So good luck to you. I am about to embark on the same task.

I just read this and I feel for you on trying to ID shark teeth. I too have the same problem... too many of them look alike. And to compound things further, the "shark teeth experts" call identical teeth different things based only upon their ages, and totally different looking teeth can come from the same shark depending upon their location within the shark's mouth. So good luck to you. I am about to embark on the same task.

Definitely. For instance, someone suggested my avatar is of an extinct mako. So I tried looking up images and some of the mako teeth look like those that come from a sandtiger. Same deal with the bull and lemon shark teeth. I'm so confused!! :wacko:

Definitely. For instance, someone suggested my avatar is of an extinct mako. So I tried looking up images and some of the mako teeth look like those that come from a sandtiger. Same deal with the bull and lemon shark teeth. I'm so confused!! :wacko:

There is no substitute for educating yourself about shark teeth. Buy some books -- studies written by professionals are more useful than guides written by collectors. Study the material at elasmo.com. Read this thread CLICK HERE to see how "advanced" collectors still struggle with these problems.

After you've done all that, post your problem teeth here so that 'northern sharks' can sort them out for you.

:D

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Also wal-mart sells plastic containers that have 5 or six areas for storage you can label each one for differnt sharks. Or you can also put them in the storage by areas found. see pics

post-1253-1234552051_thumb.jpg

There is no substitute for educating yourself about shark teeth. Buy some books -- studies written by professionals are more useful than guides written by collectors. Study the material at elasmo.com. Read this thread CLICK HERE to see how "advanced" collectors still struggle with these problems.

After you've done all that, post your problem teeth here so that 'northern sharks' can sort them out for you.

:D

Oh sure, Harry. Put the pressure on me why don't ya. :o:blush:

Of course I'll be happy to help any way that I can so feel free to post some pics. By the way, I don't recommend engraving anything into a shark tooth, use the ziplocs as suggested. Marker could rub off.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

And Harry, I'm in the process of internet research and book-buying. Also went out and bought some storage bins to at least begin sorting through everything. Otherwise, as it stands right now I'd be filling the "fossil id" forum FULL of problem teeth - haha.

Northern Sharks, I'll try to not post too much for ya. ;)

• 2 months later...
I label all fossils with a site number followed by an acquisition number.

See THIS thread.

I would start by keeping all the teeth from the same locality and bed in the same container, breaking down the contents by genus to start. You can always take them down to species as you get more experience. For instance, say you have a bunch of teeth from Venice Beach. Most teeth can be identified as tigers, makos, Hemipristis, Carcharhinus, megalodon, and sand sharks. Worn teeth might be a problem. Later, as you check more references and talk to other collectors, you might notice that one of the Carcharhinus teeth is actually a hammerhead and that you have bull sharks and maybe a silky shark.

If all your Venice Beach teeth fit in the same box as your other Florida beach teeth, you can keep those together but in their own separate containers. Beach teeth can be difficult to trace back to a particular formation, and in the case of bull shark teeth, can be Late Miocene to Pleistocene in age. You want to assure that teeth from a particular time won't get mixed in with teeth of questionable age, especially if they look like alike (same approximate color/preservation).

If you have teeth that you obtained by purchase or trade, keep the labels that you got with them. Always ask for a label. You can usually figure out the age if you know the site. If you get only the most general locality info (just the county, state, or even just the country), that's better than nothing.

I wouldn't mark the individual teeth. Even a megalodon can be put in a large zip-lock with a label stuck to that.

I think a locality code and number is a good idea for a label..... for nodules with 'parts and counterparts'..... I use the same number followed by and 'A & B ' as well..... to link the specimens......I print these tiny labels off from the pc in a small font, cut them out, and stick them to the fossil with PVA..... all the information, fossil ID number, locality, age of exposure etc is entered into a log of what I found at that exposure and printed off when I finish collecting there, and printed photos of the site, even google earth images if its a quarry, to help define where stuff came from..... all this is kept in a clear folder so everything to do with that exposure is together...... It helps me, and no doubt who ever ends up with my stuff......

I once saw a victorian carboniferous collection all done with hand written labels, it looked fantastic, although with my writing im glad we have the technology of the pc......

I havent had the urge to do my ammonites yet...........but I know them all so well ......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)