Florida Tooth For Id Please

jcbshark

Chris (search4) and I went out to a couple spots today and we didn't find a lot but I did score this tooth which I'm hoping to be my first complete carnivore. If any more precise measurements are needed just let me know and thanks for looking! :)

post-7921-0-95403300-1411250482_thumb.jpg

post-7921-0-04739900-1411250499_thumb.jpg

post-7921-0-95395600-1411250521_thumb.jpg

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I have seen very similar Squalodon teeth.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's definitely a complete carnivore canine, but im not sure from who.

Congrats Jeff!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thank you Chas, It does look like some of the ones I looked up online. I didn't know we found them here but Wikipedia says they were Miocene so that would be a possibility :)

Thank you Harry, I found it near the Manatee river in Manatee county. I wasn't sure if those teeth were found in the area, are they fairly common?

Jeff -- I'm impressed --great find -- "Fairly common" ??? I have never found one or seen anyone else find a squalodont tooth in the last 7 years --- Nice!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thank you Jack, to be honest a was really hoping to cross a terrestrial carnivore tooth off the list but if it's a rare type of marine critter that'll work too :fistbump:

Jcbshark,

What else did you find with it? Not knowing the age is an obstacle. If the formation is the Bone Valley, the lowermost layers might be old enough for a squalodont. It could be another primitive odontocete with very similar teeth. I don't know what's around the Manatee River but the fossils I have seen are too young for squalodonts. I have to say that the tooth does look like something at least as old as Middle Miocene.

Jess

Chris (search4) and I went out to a couple spots today and we didn't find a lot but I did score this tooth which I'm hoping to be my first complete carnivore. If any more precise measurements are needed just let me know and thanks for looking! :)

Hey Jess, this was a lake that was dug and we were searching stuff out of context. We also found some regular shark teeth and a couple horse tooth partials. In some of the sites very close to this one my friends found a few Galeocurdo mayumbenisis , I know that I had never found any of those down here near me and from what I read they are supposed to be a middle Miocene shark.

Oops! I had a senior moment earlier. I meant to say that the tooth resembles an odontocete, not a squalodont (which are not reported from Florida AFAIK). Maybe Pomatodelphis inaequalis.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks so much for helping me try to put an ID to this guy Harry :)

Working off of Harry's suggestion i took a quick look and it may belong to Eurhinodelphis (long snouted dolphin).

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Eurhinodelphis has not be reported from Florida, AFAIK.

Yeah, i wasn't too sure about that. I was going off of the size and shape of the tooth. Back to the drawing board....

~Charlie~

Hey all, some points -

1) It's an indeterminate odontocete - and that's about as far as anyone is likely to get. It's a bit on the smallish side for a squalodontid, and striated enamel is widely distributed amongst archaic odontocetes. Even if you find an identical tooth still stuck in a rostrum that's attached to a well-preserved braincase (best case scenario for odontocete fossils), you're liable to find upon discovery of another skull in a totally separate family the same tooth morphology. Odontocete teeth - unlike terrestrial mammals - are primarily not disparate between species. For example, I'd challenge someone to identify isolated delphinid teeth pulled out of modern specimens. Unless you have a cheek tooth of an archaic heterodont odontocete (e.g. squalodontid, squalodelphinid, "dalpiazinid" waipatiid, simocetid, xenorophid, agorophiid, among others) isolated teeth of homodont odontocetes are difficult if not impossible to identify. Because this specimen could equally represent a small squalodontid, a large kentriodontid, an iniid, or a platanistid, it can only be identified to "Odontoceti indet."

2) Just because Eurhinodelphis hasn't been reported from Florida yet doesn't excuse it as a possibility: eurhinodelphinids are amongst the most common middle Miocene odontocetes from the Chesapeake Group, and if anything should be expected from middle Miocene deposits in Florida (upon further prospecting in such levels of the Bone Valley Fm. that produced the Bradley Fauna of Morgan, 1994, for example) - after all, the Eurhinodelphis/Xiphiacetus species complex has been reported from both sides of the Atlantic and beyond. In any case, all North American "Eurhinodelphinus" has been reassigned to Xiphiacetus.

Edited by Boesse
  • I found this Informative 2