8 Year Old Collector's First Dinosaur Fossil ?

chuckwelt

Hi, I just joined the forum. What a great website. My family lives in Maryland, USA, and so far

we have mostly enjoyed collecting fossil shark teeth along the Calvert Cliffs area of the Chesapeake Bay. However on a recent walk

in a stream located in Central Maryland my 8 year old daughter found this fossil. So far my online research leads me to believe this is a

fossilized rib bone. A Maryland Fossil website says most Dinosaurs found in Maryland are from the late Triassic to late Cretaceous period. Hadrosaur fossils are some of the fossils found in this area. What do you all think it is ?

post-16539-0-36100100-1411253843_thumb.jpg

post-16539-0-47001900-1411253864_thumb.jpg

post-16539-0-66547600-1411253882_thumb.jpg

Whatever it turns out to be, it's so cool a little girl found it!! That she even had the eye to spot it, just knowing it looked different from the rest of the ROCKS.....this is a future fossil hunter in the making. Second generation FF member perhaps....:)

Edited by Katfish61

Kathy

Welcome to the forum! The Dino-dudes should be around to look any minute.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Quite possible it could be a dinosaur, but I'm wondering if it might be from a marine animal. More specifics about its location might be useful (at least what county); what were the surrounding rocks (clay? shale? sandstone? something else?). Maryland has a pretty diverse geological record, but a large part of it is after the Cretaceous.

- Arion

Edited by Arion

It reminds me of a deer's rib.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!