Sign in to follow this  
Kkoz

San Diego Shark Teeth

Kkoz

hi,

Found these teeth along with many other bone fragments in a tiny miocene outcrop in san diego. The colors of the teeth are pretty cool.

post-16540-0-37011200-1411322084_thumb.jpg

post-16540-0-18377300-1411322285_thumb.jpg

Auspex

San Diego? Cool!

I agree that the colors are neat :)

Sickle_Claw

Love these shark teeth. Wish we had outcrops like this here in Los Angeles.

Boesse

Not Miocene - that's the Pliocene San Diego Formation. It's one of the most important formations in California for producing fossil marine vertebrates. Go to the San Diego Natural History Museum - they have a great exhibit showing a bunch of fantastic fossil birds, pinnipeds, dolphins/porpoises, baleen whales, and the giant sea cow from the unit. It includes, for example, the strange porpoise Semirostrum that my colleague Rachel Racicot named back in April (I gleefully admit I was one of the authors as well): http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/03/14/weirdo-whale-semirostrum-had-an-extra-long-jaw/

Also, those all appear to be great white shark Carcharodon carcharias, which is effectively a Pliocene index fossil.

Edited by Boesse

caldigger

Now Kkoz it is very important that you tell me the exact location you are finding these, be specific with directions from the central coast...don't worry, it will be our little secret. Nobody else needs to know!

Great finds, I only wish I was into fossils when I lived in S.D.

Jarrettharp

I'm in Orange County and have a few spots between here and San Diego..would love to walk sometime...let me know..

Desert_survivor

Wow! Those are awesome. Great finds. I am moving to la jolla in a few months and would love to scope out any collectible areas. Would you mind disclosing any information on where to look? Thanks :)