Skull Fragment?

uscedisto

This one looks similar to turtle shell on the smooth side, but on the back it has a raised "waffle" pattern that I have never seen. Found in a Lowcountry SC creek where I have found Oligocene, Miocene & Pleistocene fossils and it is 3.25 inches long.

post-13186-0-46702100-1411325297_thumb.jpg

post-13186-0-54918000-1411325369_thumb.jpg

Edited by uscedisto

Calhounensis is hot on the ID's! Yes, I'd say proboscidean skull fragment. Yes, mammoth or mastodon both likely probabilities.

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

One more possibility I didn't think of was Bison/Bos. Their cranial elements have the same 'honeycomb' feature that Proboscideans do.

post-13916-0-67320500-1411403449_thumb.jpg

Edited by calhounensis

Just curious, are there diagnostic dimensions for the 'honeycomb' ie Bison/Bos vs. proboscidean?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Just curious, are there diagnostic dimensions for the 'honeycomb' ie Bison/Bos vs. proboscidean?

Betcha' a beer the proboscidean's is bigger :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Betcha' a beer the proboscidean's is bigger :)

aw you beat me to the bet. :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.