Hubbys Finds

diggerduo

The jagged edge on #7 looks a bit like those I've seen on sea turtle plasteron bones.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

First image

far left dugong rib fragment? and some Trionyx turtle shell fragments and a vertebra

second image

#2 scapula of turtle? #6 and #7 turtle shell

third image

at top, alligator scute?. Jagged one below that, another turtle shell.

fourth image

Turtle shell edge

fifth image

no idea

All the stuff you show in this post is likely to be pleistocene to pliocene in age (from 11,000 to about 5 million years old).

It is likely from a coastal environment, with a mix of freshwater, brackish and shallow lagoonal marine environments.

These types of fossils are found in Florida all along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico out to Texas. So that means you shouldn't restrict your internet searches to just Alabama, you will probably also find good information by searching for pleistocene of coastal Texas, Mississippi, and Florida. All along the coast there was a similar environment during the pliocene and pleistocene, and so the fauna is common al along that coast. I tried to find some good sites on the web for you, but didn't come up with anything really good.

A lot of these bone fragments are really hard to classify, and you have to look for defining features. Some bones have no good defining features, so I just call them "boney bits" and leave it at that.

Keep you eye out for teeth. They often will appear shiny and polished black.

There might be more people coming along at the forum who have more ideas about what you have found above, or who have a different opinion on what they are.

You might need a hunting permit for vertebrate fossils in Alabama, I don't know the laws there. They have a $5 permit here in Florida.

#6 looks like turtle carapace to me.

You might need a hunting permit for vertebrate fossils in Alabama, I don't know the laws there. They have a $5 permit here in Florida.

that stinks, regardless of the cost.

that stinks, regardless of the cost.

It's illogical.. I'm sure that Florida incurs a $20 processing fee for every $5 they collect. There seems to be no reason for it, even if it wasn't wasting money.

They probably believe they will make it up in volume. Florida isn't good at math. :D

It's illogical.. I'm sure that Florida incurs a $20 processing fee for every $5 they collect. There seems to be no reason for it, even if it wasn't wasting money.

They probably believe they will make it up in volume. Florida isn't good at math. :D

I think it is a pretty good program; perhaps you are not familiar with the details? It pertains to lands owned or leased by the state, and actually allows managed collecting. LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Are there penalties for collecting without said permit? I didn't see that info anywhere on the link. Granted, I didn't stay long. I would hate for Big Brother to see me looking at that site and get any ideas about Texas! ;)

The permit allows you to collect vertebrate fossils on state lands (but not in parks and preserves); if you are asked to produce yours and can't, they will make you stop, and take your vertebrate finds (shark's teeth are specifically excluded). I suppose you could be subject to a fine, but your infraction would have to be particularly egregious to get that treatment, IMO.

Don't even think about keeping any artifacts you come across on state property: this they are harsh about.

I think it is a pretty good program; perhaps you are not familiar with the details? It pertains to lands owned or leased by the state, and actually allows managed collecting. LINK

Well, I see the money at least goes to UF, instead of the state general fund.