First Time To Mineral Wells, Tx

JamieLynn

Finally made it out to the Pennsylvanian beds of Mineral Wells! I've been wanting to go for a long time, since it is totally different fauna than my usual Cretaceous hunting grounds! I went twice- Sunday evening and Monday morning and I'm glad I did.....the first time I was trying to find a trilobite but didn't REALLY know what I was looking for except general morphology....and I thought they would be bigger! So I was looking for thumb size critters when I found out I should really be looking for BB size.....which I found two. :) I think. I hope, anyways. Tell me if I am wrong!

Big Stuffpost-11255-0-84603100-1411508955_thumb.jpg

Little Stuffpost-11255-0-65154400-1411509375_thumb.jpg

Trilobitespost-11255-0-15168000-1411508977_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what this is?post-11255-0-05562200-1411508971_thumb.jpg

oops, I forgot size indicators. This one is about nickel sized- the odd striated area, not the whole rock.

Edited by JamieLynn

Those are certainly trilobites. Well done. The mystery piece looks like a partial brachiopod.

Or conularia maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

BB sized bugs! No wonder I never find them, I need to get my nose closer to the ground :)

Edited by BobWill

Glad you had a good time and managed to find some trilos. As for the last picture, no clue. I've never seen anything like it from there before. You can always try posting on the Mineral Wells Fossil Park's Facebook Page. It doesn't get the traffic like it should but Lee or someone else might recognize it.

That could be right but I haven't heard of anyone finding a verified calamites (the "s" is part of the name not the plural form) fragment at Mineral Wells. The time period would be right and it could have floated out and sank there so it's possible. It would be great if you could remove any of the matrix to see if there's more material that might help with an ID.

Don't be skeered! It's probably not a museum piece anyway :) Or you could practice on a scrap of similar matrix to see how the material comes off. It's different for every material. You can do a lot of simple work without elaborate tools.

Put the fossil on a sand (or rice) bag to absorb some of the shock and tap on a small (1/4" or so) chisel with a mallet. Point the tool away from the fossil when possible and hold back on the chisel so the follow-through doesn't let it nick the fossil. Another cheap alternative to air tools is a simple $15 engraving tool. It's like a tiny jack-hammer and not good for long term cleaning because it will get too hot and it's hard on your fingers but it will remove small bits of matrix.

Mostly just be patient. The process can be very slow but the results will surprise you if you've never tried. Soon you'll be buying all the fancy gear and then the dust will really fly!

Jamie, is that an imprint of a fossil or the fossil itself?

If that is matrix from Mineral Wells then water it self should do the trick. That grey shale stuff is basically compressed mud.

Her specimen looks to be in one of the hard mudstone concretions from the site. If that's the case, it will require an air scribe or plenty of patience with a hammer and punch to prep.

It may not be necessary. I believe Kris was right with brachiopod. Look here on page 289, figure 7.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/0544/report.pdf

At the Mineral Wells site, when in doubt, think brachiopod... They're everywhere out there.

BobWill....that looks to be what I found. A small section of just the right part of the brachiopod shell where the striations have joined. All the others are so straight and regular that this particular fossil find did not seem to be shell like. But that illustration definitely shows the same kind of "fusing". Thanks everyone!!!