Possible Tooth Found In Lake Livingston

Litbit

I'm new to the fossil forum and new to collecting. Please be easy on me if I don't do this right. So here it is my first finding. I drove to Coldspring With my daughter and a couple of her friends to unwind from a stressful day to enjoy some fun in the sun at the lake, Lake Livingston. Years ago it was called Pier 1514 and had a lit bait store. Now it's just left unkept and its overgrown with no more store. Only little trails made by the wildlife there. To the left a small trail that took us to an open beach area. Water was nice and cool with a little wind blowing in a little choppiness. We walked a good distance out in the water that stayed below knee level until it starts getting deep. Actually they kept walking further out. I turned back once I couldn't see my feet! Call me chicken but once youve lived around a river or lake you encounter some scary creatures lurking. This beach was a Great place for little children to swim. So I thought until I walked to the right side of the old store and stumbled upon an alligator sunbathing which was probably close to 5 or 6 foot long. I don't know who scared who the most. He took to the water and I ran over to another lit beach area where I think I also found the alligator den. Anyways I perused the waters edge until I saw a no trespassing sign and doubled back and that's when I saw my finding. It was ankle deep attempting to wash ashore. I thought it was petrified rock at first in the water until I picked it up. As we were leaving at sunset I noticed some donkeys grazing a property that meets to this one. Maybe it's a donkey tooth or cow tooth? But found drifting in with the tide at my feet underwater??? I hope I gave enough info and not too long of a story. Any ideas?

P.s. The sunset was breathtaking but if your into sunset photography like me the angle from Browders Marina on Lake Livingston is excellent.

Good night

post-16571-0-07806400-1411620456_thumb.jpg

post-16571-0-97684200-1411620484_thumb.jpg

post-16571-0-65893200-1411620537_thumb.jpg

post-16571-0-37126200-1411620671_thumb.jpg

I think it is either cow or bison. You may also need to photograph the chewing surface of the tooth, as that usually provides diagnostic details.

I notice a distinct characteristic of bison teeth, that boney growth inside the verticle side groove which tells me the tooth is from a bison. But there's no way to determine how old? Seems completely in character with Texas to find a bison tooth. I have an almost identical bison tooth found near Jacksonville, Florida. Still an interesting find and worth keeping.

My late, great uncle used to go metal detecting and arrowhead hunting at Lake Livingston for decades and built up an amazing collection. Your tooth looks bovine to me. Cool find! Can you post a picture of the top of it? That can give you an idea of how old the animal was when it died.

Archived