Need Identification Help - Fossilized Tooth?

crchamb

Hi all,

I came across the site while researching an object I recently stumbled upon. Since my research didn't result in much useful info, posting here is my next step. I sincerely hope I'm not wasting anyone's time.

Anyway, I found this in a creek bed in the woods behind my house (Alton, IL - just east of St. Louis). It was sitting loose in a pool of water. Not sure if it's a fossil or something more ordinary.

To a layman like myself, it looks like a tooth (slightly over an inch long). What threw me off is the weight and texture. It's very light (feels like it could be hollow) and the texture feels like a very hard wood. It does not feel "stone-ish", though it is rather cold to the touch.

It looks smooth and worn. There appears to be three ridges running the vertical length of the object. There's a notch on the top surface with a ridge running through the middle of it (this is perhaps the most noticeable feature as it looks very symmetrical).

I've attached some pictures that will hopefully help. They aren't the best so if need be I can try to locate a better camera.

Thanks for the help!

post-16605-0-38530200-1411939302_thumb.jpg

post-16605-0-18055600-1411939304_thumb.jpg

post-16605-0-46973000-1411939306_thumb.jpg

post-16605-0-78145300-1411939307_thumb.jpg

post-16605-0-66388100-1411939309_thumb.jpg

Hoof core most likely deer----Tom

Google image search seems to agree and there is very heavy deer traffic along the creek.

Darn. The kid in me got it's hopes up!

Thanks for your help!

Thart's without a doubt, a deer hoof (one side). I have numerous earlier hoof fossils, 30 million years earlier, but they look the same.

Nice hoof core. Aging it will be hard, as it is from an extant species, but it could date from any time after the last glaciation. Some soils and rivers can put a lot of color in a bone in a surprisingly short time, but your find does have a rich patina.

BTW, questions are our life's blood, and never a waste of time :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!